Best Kegerator Mini-Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
From my research, the Sanyo4912 seemed to be the decisive mini-fridge to use to convert to a kegerator.

So, since the Sanyo 4912 seemingly isnt made anymore, whats the top model these days?

I'm looking to put 3 kegs inside (4 would be nice), and preferably have my co2 tank outside the kegerator.

Thoughts?

You won't be able to fit 3-4 kegs (5-gal) in any standard mini fridge. I believe to do that you would need to modify a store-brand kegerator. Most mini-fridges can fit 2 very tightly. My guess is you should look into a 5-7cf chest freezer if that is what you want.

You could not have done 3 in the sanyo, unless one was a 3 gallon.

For 3 or 4 kegs, look for an actual kegerator. They will hold 2-4 cornies depending on the location of the compressor.

Actual Kegerator... hummm... so I'm back to the $6-800 price range.

Chest freezer seems logical, but building the collar is something I just can't do in my small apartment.

Either that or building 2 mini-fridge kegerators each to hold 2 kegs. It seems a little silly at first. But you can do both off the same co2 tank with a carefully placed hole in the back. So only additional cost is energy and cost of second minifridge. But this is what I plan on doing for a few reasons.

- I move almost yearly. Easier to move then a chest freezer especially if I move to a 2nd+floor apt.
- Don't feel like building and making a collar pretty enough to sit next to my TV.
- I like the idea of the front opening for the kegs so I don't have to lift them. I can barely move a full one from room to room.
- I want a tower instead of side taps.
- I can start with just 2 taps and grow from there as I get more $$.

If I were you, I would do a 7cf chest freezer. It will cost less than 2 mini fridges, use a ton less energy than two mini fridges, and can hold 5 kegs if you build a large collar, 4 without.

If you are fashion conscious like the guy above me, get a black one and drill two towers through the lid. Would look better than two mini-fridges IMO.

Also, just build the collar outside your apartment if you want one. Just need a drill, I had home depot cut all the pieces of wood for me in store.

Only issue I have is building the collar.

I'm thinking it's going to be complex to make a collar in my small apartment-let alone one that looks decent.

Plus, I'm a fan of the top mount as opposed to the side mount... but.. I guess that's not a huge difference...

I definitely like the idea of the chest freezer however, for less electricity usage, better temps, and other uses.

Does a chest freezer necessitate a temp controller? I'd think so..

I wonder if I can bang out a temp controller and a collar in a day?

Hummm.. so a collar isn't necessary for corneys to fit in the chest freezer... just pretty much if you want to shank it you need it? I was under the impression that the collar was for the corneys to fit... wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

How much of a ***** is it to get a temp controller installed... also... whats a good one? Ranco seems to be the way to go from a quick search...

I wonder if I can bang out a temp controller and a collar in a day?

Hummm.. so a collar isn't necessary for corneys to fit in the chest freezer... just pretty much if you want to shank it you need it? I was under the impression that the collar was for the corneys to fit... wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

How much of a ***** is it to get a temp controller installed... also... whats a good one? Ranco seems to be the way to go from a quick search...

I think there are some that require it, but I have never seen a 7cf+ that would need it. The collar is mostly for the 'can go back to stock really easily factor' as well as 'can drill as many holes as necessary without worry' and 'hey look, room for one more keg' maybe even 'I like making stuff out of wood'.

Temp controller is as hard as plugging in a refrigerator. Exactly as hard if you get Johnson Controls or Ranco's plug in controllers.

Stop trying to get me to change my mind on what to do with mine.... Didn't help found 8.8 cf kenmore on sale at sears for $199. That could let me delay making a collar right away. How hard are chest freezers to move?

Stop trying to get me to change my mind on what to do with mine.... Didn't help found 8.8 cf kenmore on sale at sears for $199. That could let me delay making a collar right away. How hard are chest freezers to move?

I think I have a 10cf one. Two people can carry it fairly easily. One cannot.

Back