Built a Fermentation room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keiths

Reaction score
I built myself a Room to ferment in. I have been building it the past couple of weeks. I used a small dorm style frig , Love TS controller & 3 computer fans out of an old Dell server.I will heat with either a Heat lamp bulb or ceramic heater. Heres a few pics.

DSC01606.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01607.JPG

DSC01608.JPG

Also I built a new Kegerator.

DSC01609.JPG

I wanted more room inside so I installed the manifold outside.
DSC01611.JPG

It holds 6 kegs with room to spare.
DSC01613.JPG

DSC01612.JPG

Very cool! What did you make the door with? What material did you use for the interior walls? Is that switch the master switch?

More pics of the inside please.

I am uploading them now, I used Fiberglass shower panels from Home Depot.
I used a door off of a upright freezer that I had that went bad an old R-12 unit. Also I used 3 inches of foam insulation.
These are all of the pics I have right now but if you want to see more I can take some tonight.

DSC01605.JPG

DSC01604.JPG

DSC016021.JPG

And yes it is the master switch. when I want to run the heat I just plug it in and set the love to heat and the fans run with what ever I have pluged in or if i dont want the fans to run I just unplug it..
And to cool I just plug in the compresser and unplug the heat sorce.

Cool. It kinda looks like a shower, complete with soap holder. :D

What are the inside dimensions? Are you going to use shelving to get more fermenters in there?

If that heat light is too much, just try an incandescent light bulb. I use a 25 watt vanity bulb for my chest freezer and it keeps it a 65 degrees when the garage dips to 40.

And yes it is the master switch. when I want to run the heat I just plug it in and set the love to heat and the fans run with what ever I have pluged in or if i dont want the fans to run I just unplug it..
And to cool I just plug in the compresser and unplug the heat sorce.

I leave the Love controller connected to the compressor and it will cycle my freezer to compensate for the heat generated from the light bulb.

My shop dips further then 40 here in Michigan. Its 17 degs. out side right now.I tried a bulb but it takes to long to heat up that big of an area so I got the 240 w heat bulb and it works, but not as fast as the ceramic heater I have. Ya it does look like a shower, I will take the dimensions tonight. And there is plenty of room for shelves if I need them.I am 6'2" and I can just stand up inside.

I leave the Love controller connected to the compressor and it will cycle my freezer to compensate for the heat generated from the light bulb.

Thanks, I will have to try that and see if it will work for me.

My shop dips further then 40 here in Michigan. Its 17 degs. out side right now.I tried a bulb but it takes to long to heat up that big of an area so I got the 240 w heat bulb and it works, but not as fast as the ceramic heater I have. Ya it does look like a shower, I will take the dimensions tonight. And there is plenty of room for shelves if I need them.I am 6'2" and I can just stand up inside.

It won't take that long once you put fermenters in there. Plenty of room for a conical or two. :D

Ya I have a 15 gal conical and a 14 gal fermenter and they both fit with room for some carboys.

I use the ranco two-stage controller. In my case, I have freezers, but I put stage 1 on cooling, and set the max temp and range for the freezer to cool, then I set stage 2 to the lower temp and range and it powers a silver dome light fixture with a ceramic heat bulb (no light to light-strike the beers).

I had to put a foil sheet hanging around the lip of the dome fixture to keep the heat from being too intense on the upper shelf carboy next to it, but otherwise this works beautifully and my fermentation control in the one freezer is great. My other is the chest freezer I age beer in kegs in, and it's great too.

Maybe ceramic bulbs would work for you?
Is your temperature out there steady enough that you can tell when you need to switch the controller from heat to cooling? Mine is very unstable in my uninsulated garage and North Carolina weather. In fall and spring I don't know when it will be too cold or too warm, sometimes both in the same day, so the two-stage is a must for me.

Is your temperature out there steady enough that you can tell when you need to switch the controller from heat to cooling? Mine is very unstable in my uninsulated garage and North Carolina weather. In fall and spring I don't know when it will be too cold or too warm, sometimes both in the same day, so the two-stage is a must for me.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is pretty stable( Cold ) during the winter

I have to ask how you determined where to drill through the side of your refrigerator. I'd like to throw my CO2 on the outside, but have been really leery of punching through the side.

I went online and looked up the parts break down & drawings for the type of frig.)whirlpool ) that I have and seen that all the cooling was in the freezer, it has a big condenser in the back of the freezer and NO coils at all on the sides.

I went online and looked up the parts break down & drawings for the type of frig.)whirlpool ) that I have and seen that all the cooling was in the freezer, it has a big condenser in the back of the freezer and NO coils at all on the sides.

I'll have to see if my old refrigerator has an online drawing. Thanks.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this fermentation chamber build is exactly the thing I've been searching for for my garage. Thanks for the posting.
Redbeard5289

Back