The case of the Accidental Kegging... (Help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello HBT, Got a question for ya.

Okay, so first off, I have read through a number of threads, but have obviously not hit each and every one, so please forgive me part of my answer is located elsewhere!

Here is the sitch:
Brewing my 7th batch (ever), a Chocolate Bacon Porter (We can discuss the recipe in another thread if you'd like). The intended use of this batch is the annual BrewFest here on the military base. I entered one under the same name last year, and it got some pretty lengthy negative remarks. Needless to say, I changed it up and went a totally different route this year.

I learned about the brewfest only in early January and the bottles have to be in place by 15 Feb (a whole month earlier than last year I might add!). I put the recipe together and brewed on the 16th. I had a OG of 1.076. Ten days later I stopped seeing activity on the airlock for about a day (I know, I know, not positive sign of fermentation), so I checked it and was around 1.030. Here is where I fear I made mistake #1. In my haste, I decided to transfer to a carboy. Why? Well, my thought process was that I had quite a bit of crap (ton of cocoa + all the norm yeast mess) at the bottom so why not clear it out. I did need to add in my second dose of bacon flavor, so I did that as well.

Fast forward... not that many days. Here is probable mistake #2. I came home from work today and decided to keg. That decision was fully based off of lack of sleep, a chest cold, Robitussin w/ codeine and having been in a class full of Army Privates since 0430.

After putting the top on the keg getting ready to pressure, I'm reading my board where I track the brews, and realized that its only been 4 days, and start to panic a bit thinking its been 10 or so. So now, my "FG" is at 1.022. BeerSmith is telling me that is 7.1%, which was my estimated FG. The taste is a bit sharp still from the cocoa.

Here is where I need the advice. I have about 15 days before I need to bottle this and run it to the judges. I currently have it in the keg in the kitchen still pressured up to 12.5 at about 68F. What can I do to show it the most love between now and then?? Leave it pressured in the warm, take it to the garage where its about 40 to drop more cocoa out, or something else?

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for that iaefebs. When I was setting the temp, I was doing so for the fridge I had planned it to go in. So your suggestion would be to leave it carbing at room temp?

I would stick it in the cold and force carb it at 30 psi and then wait. Making sure not to mix it up and that come tasting day there won't be any yeast cake from the bottom that gets into whatever you use to taste, you said bottles I think.

Just my two cents. I seem to think chilling with carbonation makes a beer go from tasting young to very drinkable faster, maybe due to carbonic acid idk

Thanks for that iaefebs. When I was setting the temp, I was doing so for the fridge I had planned it to go in. So your suggestion would be to leave it carbing at room temp?

No, I was just trying to help you in case that was all you had was a choice between a steady temp of 68° and a variable temp in your garage. By all means if you have a way to refrigerate get that sucker cooled to serving temp and use the chart. If I was going to carbonate at 68° I would have used sugar and treated it like a bottle and not worry about hooking up to CO2. The reason I was against a garage type temp control is because last week the outside temp was 6° and my garage was at 22° today the outside temp was 55° and the garage was at 46°. So I went from freezing beer temps to warm temp.

Thanks guys. It is in the keg fridge in the garage carbing. Unless anyone else has any better advice, I guess thats where it shall remain.

Back