First IPA recipe comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmike

Reaction score
I've been using this forum as a resource for some time now, I guess it's time to actually do some posting. Anyway, this is only my second attempt at a recipe and I'm trying to not venture into anything too crazy yet. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.11 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.8 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.8 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
4.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 1.7 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 43.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 12.2 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 6.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WL Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

I am doing a starter for the yeast, and plan on mashing at 152 F for an hour.

Looks solid to me, I wonder though if magnum has any good flavoring/late use-not that I think you should switch .25 oz of Mangum with the Nugget. I like nugget so I doubt I would change anything you have here. I almost would use some cascades for first wort hop-thats just a personal preference though.

I'd cut some of the cara/crystal malt- either some of the caramunich or some of the crystal 40L (they are basically the same thing). You've got over 10%, and I'd cut that to no more than 5-7% total.

Four ounces of corn sugar is nothing! I'd either leave it out, or boost it up, if you're using it to bring your OG up to where it is.

I don't like nugget hops as flavor hops. They are "weird" tasting to me. If you like them, you can keep them, but I'd replace them with a more traditional flavor hop. I'd rather see any US "C" hops there.

Thanks, I like those suggestions. Really like the idea of some cascade in first wort and maybe dropping the magnum a touch to get my target IBU/SG. I'm a fan of anchors liberty ale and that idea sounds good...

Keep this in mind also. Ive used a variety of the same type hops and often you get the same hop but grown in different regions. Ive used organic nugget hops-which were good at first but did notice some oliveyness as the beer aged. Another thing is Summit,alot of people have said onion with that,and I actually got some summit at my lhbs that even on the package had onion as a description of it,Ive also used organic summit-no onion with that, it mainly had a nice tangerine and generally strong hoppiness that I loved about it, so Ill see how this "other" Summit hop turns out in my next beer.
Sometimes it can help to just try and smell them when opening them but in general the descriptions can be "ok" to go by but it varies and is pretty vague to go by,really personal experience is your only judgment. Also age and storage of the hops as well.
That said I dont think you can really go to wrong with cascade as all purpose use either.

So... dropping the Nugget. I had thrown it in because I had it in stock, but I'd rather have a beer I enjoy than just use stock. So, I can use more cascade, or chinook, or run to the LHBS and grab some Columbus.

Playing with the grain as well... glad I got suggestions tonight

Back