Bacillus subtilis??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weremichael

Reaction score
I regularly eat natto which is fermented with Bacillus subtilis. The soybeans in natto have a sourish taste, so my brain started over-thinking.:cross: Has anyone tried fermenting beer with Bacillus subtilis??

:cross:

Hopefully your beer wouldn't have the same texture as slippery beans! On an interesting note, it appears to be a good gut bacteria. Give it a try.

Now, I think you're getting silly. I fart enough as it is, so that one will definitely be out or I am sleeping on the couch in the brewery.

Natto was one of the worst things I've ever eaten. I know some people love it, but the slime, oh the slime.

Looks like Bacillus subtilis is associated with ropiness in bread. I now beers can have a ropy stage, but are undrinkable until ropiness subsides.

doesn't look like Bacillus subtilis creates alcohol... a big minus in my books, but maybe not yours. you may want to use it in combination with other fermenters (sacc, brett, etc) but would need to check if these bugs play well together. you could be a pioneer!

Well from the little reading I did on it, it does produce amylase - perhaps you could use it in a role similar to koji? Use it to break down the starches (if it leaves any sugars behind) and ferment your product with a yeast.

Back