Glass of Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Having a great glass of sweet Mead I made about two years ago.

image-604523549.jpg

Drinking a cherry mead. One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.

DSC_0018.jpg

meadmazer said:
Drinking a cherry mead. One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.

Looks very good.

Roger

One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.

I share this goal. Nearly all of the beers I brew are drank entirely by myself because most members of my family prefer the clear tasteless brews. I'm hoping the 6 gallons of Montmorency Melomel I distribute at Christmas will be well received.

Illuveatar said:
I share this goal. Nearly all of the beers I brew are drank entirely by myself because most members of my family prefer the clear tasteless brews. I'm hoping the 6 gallons of Montmorency Melomel I distribute at Christmas will be well received.

I Constantly run Into the same problem. I usually stuck drinking all my stuff myself. Everyone I know is all about light generic beer. If they don't like the melomel. You can always send it to me :p. And that glass of cherry looks awesome I opened a bottle I did about a year ago with local cherry and honey and it's easily my favorite so far

This is probly the best batch yet, alot of harshness gone over last year. This one might have a chance of gaining a few more family members, I will find out next Thurs.
Still have 2 bottles left of my second mead ever, gotta be 10 years old now.
Got a couple bottles left of an elderberry that was really harsh for a long time, kinda like a
liquor now tho. Too bad I drank almost all of it already.
I get a couple 16oz fliptops and play playstation each once in a while. Mead and video games go together.

What yeasts are you guys using? My first batches were all about alcohol so in went 1118. Going to try some Safbrew T58 and S33, Notty, US05 in 1 gallon batches of a plain honey mead and do a taste test.

meadmazer said:
This is probly the best batch yet, alot of harshness gone over last year. This one might have a chance of gaining a few more family members, I will find out next Thurs.
Still have 2 bottles left of my second mead ever, gotta be 10 years old now.
Got a couple bottles left of an elderberry that was really harsh for a long time, kinda like a
liquor now tho. Too bad I drank almost all of it already.
I get a couple 16oz fliptops and play playstation each once in a while. Mead and video games go together.

What yeasts are you guys using? My first batches were all about alcohol so in went 1118. Going to try some Safbrew T58 and S33, Notty, US05 in 1 gallon batches of a plain honey mead and do a taste test.

I used D47 for this mead.

Roger

I second the D47 for most of my meads I'm drinking a bottle of two year old raspberry I did as my first mead and I'm sad to say it's the last one. I have 25 orange and a couple cherry and spice left but sadly I find it hard to no drink them after a year let alone make it to three. I used the 1118 but I found it just a hair. I guess you could say bready. But that could also be my impatience and tendency to drink them before I should getting the best of me. I've never used the notty but iv heard good things.

Ya forgot about D47, heard good things about it got a pack of that to try also. Funny how I used 1118 alot being that I really dont like champagne much. Wanted high alcohol at first, now I want it to taste good.

My favorite one to use is 1116. I made a strawberry rhubarb with it that all my friends love. It was about 16% and still had good strawberry sweetness to it and finished with a slight rhubarb tartness

Goofynewfie said:
My favorite one to use is 1116. I made a strawberry rhubarb with it that all my friends love. It was about 16% and still had good strawberry sweetness to it and finished with a slight rhubarb tartness

Wow this sounds very good. Can you post the recipe.

Roger

saramc said:
Here is a glass of strawberry rhubarb and photos of raspberry mead that I made for a friend's beach wedding.

Cool. Thanks.

Roger

I think it is funny that everyone who drinks my mead says it does not taste anything like mead in liquor store. And I agree. I try to keep convincing myself I will find one, eventually. I do not even have a meadery around here. Need to check again and see if any KY wineries have started making it. I find them occassionally at microbreweries, but they are beer like, all hopped up.

Back