1st batch in the fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I just put the first batch in the fermentation bucket. It is a dunkelweizen. I hit the OG based upon the style of the beer but not what I planned.

I had hoped for a OG 1.055 but I got 1.044

I had planned for a 6.5 boil with at least a 1.5 gal lost to boil but it did not turn out that way. I thought I had 5.125 gal water in the pot before I added 3.5 qt of wort from my mini mash. That put me to 6 gal. That left I a 6 lb 64oz LME as a late addition

After 45 min of boil, I added the LME and I had 6 gal in the pot. I lost some boil time after adding the LME before I got it back up to boil.

I was afraid to boil more because I thought that would effect my IBU's. so I just cut it off at the 60 min. Maybe I should have boiled more.

I must not have boiled it as hard compared to when I did a test run with a water boil. Anyway I ended up with about 5.5 in the fermentation bucket.

It is setting in my fermentation chamber at a cool 66F. :mug:

I don't think my efficiency from my mini mash was that great. I recovered 3.5 Qts with a gravity of 1.0510 with 2.875 lb malt. By my calculation I got 15 PPG

Maybe a 44% efficiency rate based on my malts average max of 34. :(

Anyway, it was a heck of a day. Longer then I would have thought but a fun day and a good learning experience. :rockin:

Back