Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes me feel somewhat better:

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2010/11/the-next-term/

"For Governor-elect Robert Bentley, being a No vote in the legislature is a lot different than being a veto as Governor. During a radio interview in north Alabama during the primary, Bentley indicated to the listening audience that he would not have vetoed the Gourmet Beer Bill had it been sent to his desk as Governor. While he was personally against one of our issues in the legislature, he did not think his opposition rose to the level of veto. Also remember that a veto in Alabama has little weight. A simple majority can override a veto – it’s harder to pass a bill in Alabama than it is to override a veto. Most bills effectively take a 60% super majority in order to pass. A veto simply takes 50% plus 1."

I hope the senate will vote on it.

From Free the Hops facebook page:

Response from Patricia Todd about SB294:

"As you know I am a loyal supporter of all the beer/wine legislation and continue to do so.

My vote on Tuesday was part of the minorities flexing some political muscle. The beer wholesalers made a sizable campaign donation to the republican PAC and we were protesting that contribution. I fully support the bill and will work hard for its passage today!"

Translation: we're mad that the other party got more lobbyist dollars than we did, so instead of voting to represent our districts (which we took an OATH to do), we instead wasted taxpayer dollars and legislative time with a meaningless vote protest... 'cause shucks, we want our fair share of bribes... er... contributions, too.

If the bill dies due to us running out of days (or if other deserving bills die instead), well, we were just looking out for number one.

This makes me feel somewhat better:

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2010/11/the-next-term/

"For Governor-elect Robert Bentley, being a No vote in the legislature is a lot different than being a veto as Governor. During a radio interview in north Alabama during the primary, Bentley indicated to the listening audience that he would not have vetoed the Gourmet Beer Bill had it been sent to his desk as Governor. While he was personally against one of our issues in the legislature, he did not think his opposition rose to the level of veto. Also remember that a veto in Alabama has little weight. A simple majority can override a veto – it’s harder to pass a bill in Alabama than it is to override a veto. Most bills effectively take a 60% super majority in order to pass. A veto simply takes 50% plus 1."

I hope the senate will vote on it.

Yep. Bentley signed the Brewpub reform bill into law, despite his personal objections. Which, honestly, is what the governor SHOULD do.

I don't see him vetoing either of the beer bills currently up, if they manage to get out of the stupidity and make it to his desk.

The debate on SB 205 is taking forever. I think the bottle bill is the third after they get done with this one.

is brewing ban in the entire bible belt?

Only in Mississippi and Alabama. Brewing is legal in every other "bible belt" states.
The map below shows what is considered the bible belt.

BibleBelt.png

One of the major opponents of HB354 Dick Laird is getting his ass handed to him by the governor and the house on a few local bills he sponsored. Karma is a biatch.

I've been enjoying it, although it is taking too much time...

Alvin Holmes is letting him have it pretty good. Ha!

"If I did that I'd be indicted"

Nice

Understand that was the "Gourmet Bottle" bill that passed the house and now moves on to the governor for his signature.
HB354 the homebrew bill still has to get a vote in the senate. It will come up for a vote either tomorrow or the last legislative day next week.

Assuming the governor signs it, I know my dad will eagerly be awaiting Ommegang to someday be on the store shelves in Auburn. It's one of his favorite beers.

Hopefully the homebrew bill passes through the senate and gets signed! I'll be keeping up on the news to see when it comes before them for a vote.

Assuming the governor signs it, I know my dad will eagerly be awaiting Ommegang to someday be on the store shelves in Auburn. It's one of his favorite beers.

Hopefully the homebrew bill passes through the senate and gets signed! I'll be keeping up on the news to see when it comes before them for a vote.

Ommegang is on store shelves in Auburn. Earthfare on Opelika Rd. has single and 4 packs of 12oz.

Does the rules committee set the calendar? Is there someone(s) we should contact on that committee to try to get inclusion?

The gourmet bottle bill (SB294) passed both houses of legislature, but Governor Bentley still must sign it, or the bill is effectively vetoed. Be sure to contact him right away to urge him to sign the bill into law.

Also, folks, really ride those senators - get HB354 (homebrew bill) on the calendar, and get them to vote yes! We are down to essentially the last day.

I just sent the following missive to as many rules committee members as I could find email addresses for, as well as pasted into Senator Orr's "contact me" form on his website (committee members can be found here:

Dear Senator:

As an Alabama resident and voter, I am writing you today in your capacity as a member of the Senate Rules Committee. Last year, the senate passed a bill that would have legalized home brewing beer in Alabama. This year, similar legislation awaits your consideration in the form of HB354. This hobby is enjoyed by hundreds of responsible adults in this state who would very much like to see our pasttime decriminalized. I urge you to include this on a special order calendar for senate debate and vote before the regular legislative session ends. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Chris White
[my address here]

I called my Senator, Tammy Irons, who is on the rules committee, spoke to someone (secretary?) and asked for the bill to get up for vote. She has promised support for the bill, so hopefully she will help get it up for vote

I just sent the following missive to as many rules committee members as I could find email addresses for, as well as pasted into Senator Orr's "contact me" form on his website (committee members can be found here:

I just did the same thing. Emails to all with email addresses posted, form sent to Orr on his (slooowwwww) website. Got an autoresponse from Pittman.

I just checked the ALISON site and found this concerning the bill:

Pending
third reading on day 28 Favorable from Job Creation and Economic Development

Does that mean that it is scheduled to be read on day 28 and if so, does anyone know when day 28 is?

But... I read this on Free the Hops Facebook concerning the Bottle Bill. I think it means that they have added an extra day to the session?

Great news! The legislature has decided to adjourn this year's session on Wednesday the 16th, instead of Tuesday the 15th. This removes our bill from the "pocket veto" window so if Governor Bentley takes no action on the bill, it will become law without his signature. However, HE CAN STILL KILL THE BILL IF HE CHOOSES. He could "basket veto" it by returning it to the Senate with a veto at such a late hour on Wednesday that they would have no time for an override. So your calls are still *crucially* important. Keep them up! And emails, letters, and faxes.

If the Governor takes no action on the bill, it will become law without his signature at midnight, this Wednesday, May 16th.

Note, however, there is a provision in the bill that means it won't go into effect until August 1st. That is to give wholesalers and retailers time to prepare for all the new packages.

But... I read this on Free the Hops Facebook concerning the Bottle Bill. I think it means that they have added an extra day to the session?

I'm pretty sure that won't change how many days they meet, just what will be the last day they meet, changing the last meeting day from Tuesday to Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure that won't change how many days they meet, just what will be the last day they meet, changing the last meeting day from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Heh. Legislators putting in extra hours to get their jobs done - for no extra pay? Riiiiight.

Ommegang is on store shelves in Auburn. Earthfare on Opelika Rd. has single and 4 packs of 12oz.

I'll have to pass that along. I forgot they do the smaller bottles now. The bottle shop I go to only has the 750ml so I forgot they did smaller packaging. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back