Rye IPA - Low Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I just took a hydrometer reading from my satellite fermenter and after three days of fermentation I got a reading of 1.008 I don't know why but this sounds a bit low to me. what do you think?

Did you adjust for temperature? If it's 10-15 degrees above 60, then it will be off by a few points. It depends on your recipe though too.

I did adjust for temp. my original s.g. was 1.052 and i was shooting for more like 1.06x so I'm not really sure what happened.

I took another hydrometer reading but from the fermenter (the first hydrometer reading was from a sample that I had put in a 2L coke bottle.) when I racked to secondary after 7 days in primary and S.G. was 1.010. Also, the beer has been in the secondary for 5 days now and I can still see some activity in the carboy, like yeast coagulates shooting up and pieces of hops floating around from dry-hopping, which hasn't completely fallen

If you are at the correct temp for your hydrometer, you must have had an overly fermentable wort. What was your recipe (including temps and steps?)

It's possible that your hydrometer is inaccurate but I doubt it it would be THAT far off.

2.5 lbs. two-row
2 lbs rye
.5 lbs crystal 20L
6 lb Extra Pale Extract

mash grains 155º F for 45mins.
sparged with 2.5 qt at 170º F
bring to boil then turn off heat and add malt extract

1 oz. magnum 60min.
1/2 oz amarillo 60min.
1 oz Simcoe

pitched california ale 001 yeast from a 2L starter into 67º F. wort
Fermented at around 75º F for 7 seven days then racked into secondary and dry-hopped with 1/2oz simcoe, 1/2oz Amarillo, 1/2oz cascade, 1/2oz willamette

Latest posts

Back