Perlick 525ss Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofiefoot

Reaction score
I bought an additional Perlick 525ss at AHS Saturday to add to my kegerator. I drilled the hole, mounted the shank and attached the faucet. Imagine my chagrin when I stepped back and saw the difference. My original 525ss's have the nice, engraved "P" on the faucet - nice and classy. My new faucet has a crappy screenprinted "P" in the same spot.

I called AHS and was told Perlick changed the design and the engraved ones are no longer available. How disappointing is that?!? The funny thing is, I bought my first 2 faucets in October, so we're looking at a very recent change.

I'd rather my kegerator had truly matching faucets. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I just saw that. What a pain. So, I guess I'm SOL unless I can find someone to trade then?

Interesting. I bought my first 525s right as they hit market (was one of the first people on the board to get the tap) and it was the screen-printed logo. Then, about a month later, I ordered 4 more (including one 575s) and they were all the engraved version. Personally I find the engraved ones to have a slightly tighter action and seal. Because of this I always assumed the engraved versions were a later manufacture. I put the screen printed one on my jocky box and the 4 engraved ones on my kegerator.

I just bought 4 perlick 575s (creamer) faucets from keg connection and they are all with the engraved "P". Hopefully they don't change them as I still need to order 2 more in the near future.

It's frustrating when they change crap like this on a product. My suggestion would be to call a vendor you are interested in buying from and ask them specifically about the faucet before you buy. Yeah it's a pain in the a$$ question but so is receiving faucets you don't want.

I emailed Perlick asking about the variant logo. They probably won't get back to me. Want to know which is the earlier variant, etched or tooled in logo. I believe the etched is the earlier. Here's my hunch:
1) The promo ad for the Perl faucet (website) shows product with etched logo. It's extremely common for ads to be shot using prototypes or pre-production samples.
2) Believe the etching is a secondary process as opposed to the "engraved" logo which would just be part of the mold tooling. In other words, the etching is likely to cost more and slow manufacture and therefore likely to be changed.
3) The etched "P" is not as visible as the engraved "P". This is the company logo. In my experience, top brass always wants their logos more visible and more traditional. And if they saw an item that didn't live up to their expectations of that, they don't mind changing a design last minute.

If I'm correct and anyone collects breweriana, those etched faucets will be worth a few dollers more in 50 years.:ban:

the first 4 I got had the P in the metal . The last 2 had the etched P so who knows what the hell they did. At least they are on different kegerators so its not noticeable .

Back