DeKoninck Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverbbqBrew

Reaction score
This recipe is based on Jamil Zainasheff’s clone of De Koninck in BYO. Dekoninck is the daily beer of the people of Antwerp and truly one of my all-time faves. The Mt. Hood hops in my recipe aren’t to style, but they’ve been resonating in all my thirst quenchers lately, like autumn leaves floating in a pool, wavering among the reflections of the stormclouds up above. Plus, the Kent Goldings Jamil suggests are all but extinct in my area these days.

Lange Wapper

(Antwerp Pale Ale)

5 gallons (all-grain)

OG = 1.053

FG = 1.013

IBU = 29

SRM = 8

ABV = 5.3%

Ingredients

10 lb Pilsner Malt

10 oz Caramunich Malt (60 Lovibond)

4 oz Biscuit Malt (25 Lovibond)

1.5 oz Mount Hood 5% a.a. pellet hops (60 min)

.5 oz Mount Hood 5% a.a (0 min)

Wyeast 3655 (Belgian Schelde) Yeast

Mash at 152. Boil the wort for ninety minutes, but start adding hops at sixty. Adjust your runoff size accordingly.

Brewed that one. It's good but it isn't a DeKoninck. Since then I've been going back and forth with DeathBrewer on a recipe and we are getting really close to a true clone, it has more specialty malts than Jamil's because the real DeKoninck is caramel sweet.

I don't have BeerSmith since I'm not at home but I think next up looks something like

X# Belgian Pils
8oz Flaked oats
1# Caravienne
8oz Aromatic
4oz Caramunich

Yes I know that's a lot of crystal but the DeKoninck is very caramel-like. Last time I think I brewed this though I'm a bit rusty now:

9# Belgian Pils
8oz Flaked oats
12oz Caravienne
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit

It wasn't sweet enough, it was too light on the SRM, and it had biscuit notes where I couldn't detect any in the DeKoninck comparing side by side.

Mt Hood hops will work fine. I like them in Belgians, although Saaz is one of my favorite hops. The original is all Saaz.

Thanks for the heads up.

I brewed the Jamil recipe as well and in retrospect I agree - it had the same lack of sweet lack of caramel flavor. At the time I attributed it to me not step mashing the pilsner malt - the Belgian Brewers I talked to when on my trip all stressed long step mashs to get the most out of their pilsner, but you are you are totally right...that wouldn't produce the ruby sweetness that I crave for nightly.

Jamil does say in the BYO article that DeKoninck sweetens up a bit during the transfer to the states...But honestly, I couldn't tell the difference when the swmbo and I had a bottle of it at the Monk's Kettle in SF recently.

Is that typical that beers sweeten up with age? Is it because the hop aroma fades?

I did enjoy my bolleke in Antwerp more than at the monk's kettle, but I chalked that up to being in its homeland.

2876607615_9e9bb0af8f_b.jpg

I got the flaked oats at my lhbs, they were more expensive than the malted grains though... are they any different from porridge oats from a decent health food store?

Here's my take on the Dekonick clone, it turned out a bit lighter, but it was awesome, and is my house belgian.
OG: 1.055
Yeast: WLP550

78% Belgian Pale Malt
8% Biscuit Malt
8% Caravienne
4% Flaked Oats
2% Aromatic Malt

1oz Saaz @ 60
.5oa Saaz @30
.5oz Saaz @15

Jamil does say in the BYO article that DeKoninck sweetens up a bit during the transfer to the states...But honestly, I couldn't tell the difference when the swmbo and I had a bottle of it at the Monk's Kettle in SF recently.

After six months Jamil's was still biscuity and not very sweet. There is still ~1 gal in the keg of the second one and it's a bit sweeter but it really didn't change much with age at all.

I got the flaked oats at my lhbs, they were more expensive than the malted grains though... are they any different from porridge oats from a decent health food store?

I use instant oats from the grocery store. They work fine. :)

Dekoninck is one of my favorites! Nothin better than sitting in the square w/ a bolleke.
This is definately next on my list to brew.
I've printed Jamil's two recipes, and the ones from this thread. Lots of variation for one beer. I guess because it's kinda complex for a pale ale.
I'd love anymore advise.
Layne

Here, I have BeerSmith in front of me now. :)

Next up for my clone attempt is:

80% Belgian Pils
10% Caramunich
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Aromatic
2.5% Biscuit

6 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
0.5oz Saaz 15

For 75% eff. multiply the % by .1 to convert to pounds (8# Belgian Pils, etc).

WLP515 (Platinum) is the DeKoninck yeast strain. I washed the yeast cake from the last go-round since it is a fall seasonal.

Notes:
My grainbill gives estimated SRM of 10 which should be closer. My last clone attempt was SRM=8 and it was lighter than the DeKoninck in a side by side comparison.
Mash 152*F gives correct attenuation for the DeKoninck strain.
Much of the character of this beer comes from the yeast. For a true clone you need the WLP515. The WLP550 comes out good but it doesn't make for a clone. ;) Pitching a 2L starter of the WLP515 the yeast character was a dead ringer in a side by side comparison.
The DeKoninck is hoppier than you would think, there is a lot of malt backbone which hides the IBUs. You need ~3oz of Saaz to get there.

I want to brew this in a few weeks.
But if the yeast is not available, is there a close option, or shoud I give up on this till next fall?

This will sound like I'm nuts, but in a pinch I would try a blend of WLP550 and WLP830 and ferment at 65*F. The lager yeast will replicate some of the esters and sulfur that WLP515 produces, while the WLP550 will provide Belgian character and help to cleanup byproducts from the warm lager yeast fermentation.

WLP515 acts a lot like a lager yeast, it's slow to start, has a really tiny krausen, and produces loads of sulfur... it really smells awful during the ferment.

Check around, some HBS's may still have some old tubes of WLP515 you could build up with a starter. You may have to call them since the old yeast probably isn't listed on web sites.

WLP550 is a nice, clean belgian yeast. It works great in any belgian pale.

This beer tasted EXACTLY like a DeKoninck:

Here's a partial mash conversion of DeathBrewer's DeKoninck clone. Sub 12oz Caramunich and 4oz Biscuit for the specialty grains and you have JZ's BYO recipe in minimash form.

4.5# Extra light DME or 5.5# Pilsner LME
2# Belgian Pils
1# Caravienne
8oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Aromatic

4 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
2 AAU Saaz 15

Mash grains in steeping bag at 155*F for 60 minutes. Boil for 30 minutes, then start adding hops. Add extract with the last hop addition (15 minutes left in boil) being careful to avoid scorching.

WLP515 (Sept/Oct platinum) is the DeKoninck yeast strain, use it if you can get it! I'm planning on washing my primary cake.

I would mash at 152°F, tho. I think that 1 lb of caravienne was what really gives it that clean sweetness.

Man, that was a good beer.

I almost missed it!
I've been waiting, and somehow thought this yeast was to come out in january :0
Ordering today, still in stock.

How do I convert the AAU to oz. of hops?
And the DME to all grain?

Thanks, Layne

Got my grain and yeast in today, and and am off this weekend, so I plan to brew saturday. Kinda rushed, but never know when I will get a day off again.
Didi you make a starter? How big?
I have enough grain and hops for 10 gallons, and 2 vials of yeast.

Brewing today!
Decided to make 5 gals instead of ten, because it's to cold outside to ferment in my big freezer. I have a small frige w/ controller that I can ferment 5 gals inside and keep at 68 degrees
Made a 2 liter starter.
Thanks again guys.

Brewed 5 gallons today.
Pitched the 2 liter starter at 5:45 PM, and at 8:45PM, it was already bubbeling through the airlock!

I know it may be too late, but between Brew Like A Monk, and Great Beers Of Belgium, it would appear that De Koninck is made exclusively from pilsener malt, vienna malt and saaz (3 additions). BLAM says 1.048 and 25 IBU iirc..

Interesting.
I actually have BLAM, but didn't remember seeing it in there.
Thanks for posting. I'll check it out.

Cool. I remember reading something a while back about this yeast.
Is it close to the DeKoninck strain, or one of the other Ales from that region?
I have one more vial of the Dekoninck yeast, and will try again soon. My last batch had a funky taste when I first kegged it, it's been sitting for a few weeks now, hoping it will clean up. We'll see.

Schelde is the name of a major river which runs through Antwerp, which is where De Koninck is from. It would make sense that it is their strain.

Update: My DeKoninck Clone tasted horible right after it was kegged, but after sitting another month, it cleaned up rather well. Not a clone, but a good belgian pale ale.
It's hard to believe that it went from undrinkable to pretty good in a month.

This is what I used.

80% Belgian Pils
10% Caramunich
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Aromatic
2.5% Biscuit

6 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
0.5oz Saaz 15

WLP515 (Platinum) is the DeKoninck yeast strain. I washed the yeast cake from the last go-round since it is a fall seasonal.

Notes:
My grainbill gives estimated SRM of 10 which should be closer. My last clone attempt was SRM=8 and it was lighter than the DeKoninck in a side by side comparison.
Much of the character of this beer comes from the yeast. For a true clone you need the WLP515. The WLP550 comes out good but it doesn't make for a clone. ;) Pitching a 2L starter of the WLP515 the yeast character was a dead ringer in a side by side comparison.
The DeKoninck is hoppier than you would think, there is a lot of malt backbone which hides the IBUs. You need ~3oz of Saaz to get there.

Mine tasted terrible after 6 weeks also.......It has been four months now and it is great! I(I did the extract version)

The DeKoninck strain kicks out a good bit of sulfur, so it needs awhile for that to age out, my guess is that is the off flavor you were getting in the young beer?

If you want to drink it more quickly, it is possible to force sulfur out of solution by force carbonating, letting the beer go flat by keeping the valve open overnight (with the gas off of course :)), and re-carbonating it. If you are going to bottles, you just need a long secondary before bottling.

Thats believable.
Can't wait for the strain to come out again.
I brewed this recipee a month ago, and used the 550 yeast. Not Dekoninck, but good beer none the less. It did taste good far sooner than with the Dekoninck yeast.
I need to learn how to 'save' some yeast, so that I can brew the Dekoninck year round. Doesn't it come out in sept?

80% Belgian Pils
10% Caramunich
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Aromatic
2.5% Biscuit

6 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
0.5oz Saaz 15

Notes:

Brewing this tomorrow. What temp did you use for fermentation?

Thanks for the recipe! (Also love your Tejas Wit as well)

Cheers

It's time! The WLP 515 is available this month.
Does anybody know which places have it in stock?
None of the online sites have it listed.

I just ordered 2 vials from my LHBS. I'm following this thread, but my beer is more of a distant relative rather than a clone.

10g
15# Belgian 2-row
6# Munich 10L
4# rye malt

2oz Tettnang 60mn
2oz Saaz 30 mn
2oz Saaz 10 mn

WLP 515

I'm also debating adding 2# turbinado at around 4 days in the primary like my other Belgians, to dry it out and kick it up a notch. I was going to brew 10g, then do half ale and half lager, but then I saw the Antwerp was out and decided on that for everything.

My last beer was similar to this, and the rye was awesome in it. Silky mouthfeel, and a nice edge to it. Everyone loved it.

I have 10 gallons OG the original recipe in the fermenter.
I can't wait to drink this again.

Komodo said:
I just ordered 2 vials from my LHBS. I'm following this thread, but my beer is more of a distant relative rather than a clone.

10g
15# Belgian 2-row
6# Munich 10L
4# rye malt

2oz Tettnang 60mn
2oz Saaz 30 mn
2oz Saaz 10 mn

WLP 515

I'm also debating adding 2# turbinado at around 4 days in the primary like my other Belgians, to dry it out and kick it up a notch. I was going to brew 10g, then do half ale and half lager, but then I saw the Antwerp was out and decided on that for everything.

My last beer was similar to this, and the rye was awesome in it. Silky mouthfeel, and a nice edge to it. Everyone loved it.

Btw - this recipe is:

Og: 1.068
Fg: 1.016

IBU 27
SRM 8.6

6.8% (engineered for two pints which gives you a good crank. I bottle in champagne bottles.)

Resurrecting an old thread...

Has anyone continued to develop this recipe? Thoughts on adding a small amount of candi sugar instead of so much crystal?

Thanks!

Resurrecting an old thread...

Has anyone continued to develop this recipe? Thoughts on adding a small amount of candi sugar instead of so much crystal?

Thanks!

i’m going to be giving this a try two times over the next month, hoping to get any quirks in the process or recipe figured out, before brewing it a third time with some friends and their parents who live in antwerp! going to be basing it off of post #9, as that seems like it has the consensus that it is the closest to the recipe!

Last edited:
DK are now owned by Duvel Moortgat, so I'd imagine that anywhere that has Duvel, Achouffe etc (or at a pinch Firestone Walker) should be able to get hold of DK somehow.

Back