Smokey Mountain Brewery Gatlinburg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
We just got back from a week long vacation in Gatlinburg Tennessee. Smokey Mountain Brewery is always the first restaurant we go to. I like to start with a samplers platter of 6 beers. They usually have 9 beers on their regular menu plus a seasonal special, which was a winter warmer this week. So I start with 6 beers and they place them on a place mat with a brief description of each beer. I ordered a real tender sirloin steak that was somehow infused with a garlic butter. Then for dessert, a 32 ounce mug of my favorite brew.

We have micro breweries in Georgia, but there are none close to my house. Going to Smokey Mountain Brewery once a year is always a treat. On this trip, I only made it there one night for dinner. Two other nights we went in pretty late for a couple 32 ounce beers. I have had their steaks, ribs, pizza, cheese steak sandwiches, and of course, their beers. Good place!:rockin:

Going down there in July with another couple and our kids (9mos and 3 mos current ages). I plan on stopping in for a tour. Hoping to get in on a brew day and assist, but have to wait and call when we're down there to find out if we can.

We go to Tn every summer to visit my family in Maryville, we are heading there in July. We always head up to splash country and Gatlinburg, is this place new? I assume it is on the main drag there in town? Can't wait to break away from the family and toss back a few beers!:mug:

No, it is not on the main drag. About traffic light three, going north, you turn right at that resteraunt that has the torches out front. It almost looks like just an entrance to a parking lot, but when you go in a little ways you see lots of other little shops and the two story brewery up a little ways on the right.

We go to Tn every summer to visit my family in Maryville, we are heading there in July. We always head up to splash country and Gatlinburg, is this place new? I assume it is on the main drag there in town? Can't wait to break away from the family and toss back a few beers!:mug:

When in July will you be there. I'm going to try and get a tour/Possible assist on a brew day while I'm their. If you want and will be there the same time I'm taking a laptop and you could come too.

I'll be out that way tomorrow; hopefully I'll have time enough to stop in.

Edit:

Okay, I'm sitiing here at the bar as I type. I've tried 4 of the beers (of 9) so far, and they're decent but no stand-outs so far. More later.

I'll be out that way tomorrow; hopefully I'll have time enough to stop in.

Edit:

Okay, I'm sitiing here at the bar as I type. I've tried 4 of the beers (of 9) so far, and they're decent but no stand-outs so far. More later.

Edit again:

The porter was decent, the pale ale was good but unbalanced, the winter warmer was good, I had one sip of the light lager and didn't finish it (just personal preference), and everything else was passable. If I had ordered something else, it would have been the pale ale.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Pale the most I think. That and the red. If we ever go back to Gatlinburg (some one drags me kicking and screaming) I wouldn't waste my time stopping back. The staff barely speaks English (foreign exchange program mostly from The Ukraine and like countries) to the point where not only can you not ask them anything about the beer, but my wife had a hell of a time requesting cheese on her sandwhich period and gave up trying to request a different cheese besides whatever the hell they decided to put on it.

I am heading to Pigeon Forge, TN in three weeks via Nashville. Any other breweries you could recommend along the way?

Circle C Brewer
Austin, TX

I have to say I wasn't impressed a bit. I had the 9 beer sampler along with a few pints of the Black Bear Ale. All the beers lacked body. I'm not a huge pale ale fan, but it had the most character of them all. Second was the Black Bear Ale. The food was good. Yes our waitress was Russian. But she spoke English well (and was hot...)

But back to the beer... I honestly was disappointed. None of the beers except the IPA had any real hop flavor. All had wonderful color and clarity (except the wheat beer of course), but all were bland and had little carbination or head. I was so totally let down... I felt like a 5 year old that just found out that there was no Santa Clause.

But when life deals you lemons,...make lemonade. My steak was very good, my family was with me having fun. Hell, I'm sure someone out there must like their beer. I sure tried like hell to like it (I got hammered). But it still just didn't smoke my shorts.

That is the worst location to try their beer at... If you come back this way you really need to stop at the Bearden Hill Location in Knoxville. That is where the guy that does the majority of the brewing brews at and puts it on their taps freshest...

I have to say I was really hoping Sierra Nevada would have located their brewery here instead of NC because it would have made the locals step their game up a bit.

Cheers

Nick

Just an FYI to anyone watching this thread. Marty Vellas (the head brewer) has decided to depart from Smokey Mountain Brewery after 19 years. His departure is amicable, he's decided to move on to another area of the brewing industry but will still be in the Knoxville area.

I agree with many of the comments here about the beer not standing out any. That's not by Marty's choice, he's controlled by the owners of the franchise. He has done a great job setting up an awesome foundation that could go anywhere with any style.

My favorites from SMB are the Raspberry Wheat and the Winter Warmer seasonals and the Vellas Hellas (sure to be renamed). I am excited to see if any changes are coming and wish SMB and Marty all the best. Cheers Marty!

Galloway, are you from the area? I am in Karns, we frequent the Bearden location the most as my wife likes the food better at Calhoun's than SMB.

He'll be working with a company that is involved in the production/bottling side of the brewing industry. Sounded like part sales, part training, part consultant stuff. He's still physically in the area.

I've been to this place a few times. I am sure these are professional brewers that are intentionally brewing the beers to have more "mass appeal". Last time through I tried the IPA. Very bland.

I understand their marketing strategy, I just don't enjoy it. It's too bad, because the food isn't awful and the place has a nice funky feel to it.

If you are in the Maryville area just to let you know Bluetick Brewery is now open. It is a small brewery Maryville's first but they have very good beer and at least 4 of their own on tap most times. Very laid back vibe I enjoy it very much

Back