Ammo Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
So what do you guys think of the ammo prices lately!? Do you think the prices will ever go down? I tend to think once prices have rose on ammo they stay there but this is getting ridicules!

The price? Hell, finding ammo is getting hard in these parts. No 9mm anywhere. I bought the last two boxes of 45 ACP from a local shop last week. Said he is hoping to get another shipment in months.... Price is going to stay for a while.

All I need is another box of .270 bullets and I will have enough powder brass and bullets for me to hunt with for at least ten years.

Just finding some calibers is impossible. I think I will see a Dodo bird before I see any 22 long rifle again

There's a painting at a local hipster bar. Great place, tons of craft beer (60+) taps. Anyway it's just a white canvas, on the left is a bunch of bananas, right next to it reads 34 cents. In the center there's an apple, next to it reads 21 cents. On the right is a bullet, next to it reads 2 cents.

Painter was obviously trying to make a statement, but unfortunately he was so far outside reality that I laugh every time I see it.

Prices will come back down when the supply and demand rebalance. However, I doubt the prices will ever be what they were. It'll be same as what happened in the past...prices came down but never to the level they were prior to the runs. Just ratches up more each time there is a big run.

Prices will come back down when the supply and demand rebalance. However, I doubt the prices will ever be what they were. It'll be same as what happened in the past...prices came down but never to the level they were prior to the runs. Just ratches up more each time there is a big run.

Agreed.

I've not bought any in a while since I tend to buy more than one shootings worth at a time. Not quite in bulk, but a few boxes at a time.

Last week, Academy did have .22 lr. I saw it while making my obligatory walk by when I was there for charcoal.

.44 at near a dollar a shot is ridiculous.

Yeah, pretty much everything including reloading supplies is about impossible to find. My buddy and I have been searching all over just for bullets and primers. I found once place near me that had a few but was limiting it to one box of primers per person. The shortage will be fairly short lived but I doubt prices will come back down much.

Just start reloading.

I miss the days of 1440 rd. wooden crates of 7.62x39 ammo for $99, less if you found a sale. I think the last SKS I bought way back when, still packed in cosmoline, was $89 give or take.

Reloaders are an option. I used to buy some from this one guy who was always at the same gun shows. You have to watch it though. I know some people won't buy reloads at all. Some folks are not as good at it as others. There is a risk that they may be tragically bad at it.

The guy I bought from was well respected for his quality, and deservedly so. I put some work into finding that out. At first, I just noticed him in the course of noticing things. He was always at the same gun shows. One day, I hung around the area of his table for a while. He was obviously getting repeat customers. They spoke like they knew each other from previous dealings. I asked a few folks about him on the side. "Hey. You buy from that guy before? How is it? Yes. I am trying to feel him out before taking a chance." Some people were leery; ether of being approached at seemingly random or maybe they didn't want to give up the best fishing hole kinda thing. Some just gave me a quick, 'Yeah. He's good.' No bad reviews. So I went home and looked him up online. Not much info, but none bad. I really do think people guard good reloaders like good fishing holes. Went back and bought a small bag. Every round was a winner. Having read about the peril of these guys getting brass from any dubious source they could scrounge, I tried to trade, sell or give him some spent brass. He wouldn't take it. Said he didn't accept brass he didn't know and usually used brass he bought from his sources with only special requested exception, and then only from a select few. I don't know how much ammo I bought from him over the next few years, but it was all spot on quality.

Picked up an SP2022 in .40 S&W yesterday. Guy behind the counter said he had bulk .40 ammo - 650 rounds for $220. Good price in today's world? Doesn't matter, I spent all my free cash on the pistol.

I was looking at getting a 2022 but never did. That isn't a bad price for the ammo through. Not great but not bad especially for the past month.

I used to by 22lr by the brick, now you have to buy them box by box. Thank goodness i have a crate of them

I picked up 4 boxes of Magtech .9mm yesterday for $12.99/per. Not bad especially for NY, and the prices haven't gone up since I started getting them two years ago. .22LR is another story all together. I managed to find some a couple of weeks ago, picked up two 500 bricks of Remington high velocity (it was either that or CCI Quiet LV rounds) for $37.99/per. Not what I wanted to spend, but that's all I could find. Now I can't find any .22LR anywhere.

I wasn't looking for it but I could have sworn I saw quite a few bricks of .22lr at walmart the other day. No 9mm though which is what I was looking for.

I was looking at getting a 2022 but never did. That isn't a bad price for the ammo through. Not great but not bad especially for the past month.

The SP2022 was my second choice. I was really after an SR40, but you can't find those for nothing around here. Looked around before Christmas and they were everywhere. After the New Year - gone.

Still, the 2022 is a nice pistol. Haven't been to the range yet, but my first impressions are very positive. Nice smooth and consistant double action trigger pull, nice clean single action break. There's a little trigger creep. Good fit for my hand in the grip. Best of all, it conceals perfect in all my carhart jackets, light and heavy. Summer will present a new challenge...

As far as ammo prices go, I guess right now the best price is the one you pay just to get some.

I picked up 4 boxes of Magtech .9mm yesterday for $12.99/per. Not bad especially for NY, and the prices haven't gone up since I started getting them two years ago. .22LR is another story all together. I managed to find some a couple of weeks ago, picked up two 500 bricks of Remington high velocity (it was either that or CCI Quiet LV rounds) for $37.99/per. Not what I wanted to spend, but that's all I could find. Now I can't find any .22LR anywhere.

Dick's in Orchard Park had 22lr a week or so ago. It's behind the counter. I wonder what the price will be once they have to start running background checks for ammo? Hopefully the new law gets beaten down by the lawsuits.

Thankfully I picked up a 500 of .22LR through a friend a few weeks back. Hunting wise, I'm good for a LOOOONG time. Shotgun rounds still seem easy to get, so I picked up a case of them from Cabela's just to be safe. Now finding .30 Carbine for my new M1, that's been a *****! I'm hoping to score some at a gun show on saturday.

Thankfully I picked up a 500 of .22LR through a friend a few weeks back. Hunting wise, I'm good for a LOOOONG time. Shotgun rounds still seem easy to get, so I picked up a case of them from Cabela's just to be safe. Now finding .30 Carbine for my new M1, that's been a *****! I'm hoping to score some at a gun show on saturday.

Good luck with the 30 carb. That stuff is hard to come by. Even brass to reload is tough to find.

I wonder why there has been a run on 22 longs though. It pretty much is a plinking round and not viewed so much as a defensive round.

Hmm though while I was typing this I remembered that during Vietnam SF people used a silenced 22 long to kill the dogs in the camp. They called them hush puppies

I wonder why there has been a run on 22 longs though. It pretty much is a plinking round and not viewed so much as a defensive round.

Hmm though while I was typing this I remembered that during Vietnam SF people used a silenced 22 long to kill the dogs in the camp. They called them hush puppies

Because there is a run on ammo because people are afraid it is all going to be illegal and .22 is cheap as **** so people can afford to load up on it. That and many people probably go through much more of it than any other round.

I'm glad I target shoot with muzzleloaders, have enough powder, lead and caps for that for 10 years!

I have 500+ shotgun hulls and reload slug and buckshot to stockpile for the impending zombies

Target shooting has becoming a thing of the past....Can't afford to waste ammo!

And freakin range fees. Jeez. We used to go out to the woods, but we don't live there any more. And the ranges here are always so busy. Best go early and during the week.

The only time I go to a real range is when I'm doing it for work. I'm lucky to have friends with land and I also know of a few public spots where no one really hunts and shooting is ok.

And freakin range fees. Jeez. We used to go out to the woods, but we don't live there any more. And the ranges here are always so busy. Best go early and during the week.

There is a range near me that is pretty nice. Nothing special but not crap either. Its $10 all day. They have 100 yard rifle, 50 hand gun, and two shotgun stations (you have to bring your own thrower). That isn't bad at all, to me.

I am dang lucky that I have a 100 yrd range out my back door and a 1 mile range set up just down the road. I do not have to go to a range:)

I am dang lucky that I have a 100 yrd range out my back door and a 1 mile range set up just down the road. I do not have to go to a range:)

Right there with you.

My parents have 25 acres I can shoot on anytime and my inlaws have 300 acres of beef farm that I could shoot off artillery shells on and no one would call the cops. I can get to either location in 15 minutes. Yay for country living! :tank:

Right there with you.

My parents have 25 acres I can shoot on anytime and my inlaws have 300 acres of beef farm that I could shoot off artillery shells on and no one would call the cops. I can get to either location in 15 minutes. Yay for country living! :tank:

Oooh and the beef farm will have a thriving population of coyotes and maybe bobcats. Yup farm living is the life for me....Green acres plug intended:ban:

Because there is a run on ammo because people are afraid it is all going to be illegal and .22 is cheap as **** so people can afford to load up on it. That and many people probably go through much more of it than any other round.

And the fact 4 million guns were sold in the last month or so. Everybody that bought a new toy needs ammo for it.

Picked up an SP2022 in .40 S&W yesterday. Guy behind the counter said he had bulk .40 ammo - 650 rounds for $220. Good price in today's world? Doesn't matter, I spent all my free cash on the pistol.

The SP2022 was my second choice. I was really after an SR40, but you can't find those for nothing around here. Looked around before Christmas and they were everywhere. After the New Year - gone.

Still, the 2022 is a nice pistol. Haven't been to the range yet, but my first impressions are very positive. Nice smooth and consistant double action trigger pull, nice clean single action break. There's a little trigger creep. Good fit for my hand in the grip. Best of all, it conceals perfect in all my carhart jackets, light and heavy. Summer will present a new challenge...

As far as ammo prices go, I guess right now the best price is the one you pay just to get some.

After you shoot it let me know how it is. I've been looking for a poly 9mm or 40 and the 2022 is getting pretty high on my short list. I'm between the 2022, FNP or the Px4. All 3 seem to fit well in my hand when I hold them (unlike every Glock I've held) The 2022 I've seen on sale for about half the cost of a FNP, so I really like that as well.

After you shoot it let me know how it is. I've been looking for a poly 9mm or 40 and the 2022 is getting pretty high on my short list. I'm between the 2022, FNP or the Px4. All 3 seem to fit well in my hand when I hold them (unlike every Glock I've held) The 2022 I've seen on sale for about half the cost of a FNP, so I really like that as well.

Don't know if you looked at one, but I have a Ruger P95. 9mm that is very similar to the Sig in appearance. I do realize the Sig is a different class of pistol, but it's hard not to beat the price of the Ruger. I really like mine. Of all of my pistols it's the one I find myself shooting most of the time. It's got a sturdy frame (something I didn't find when trying my friends Smith), a good solid action and it's pretty easy to disassemble. My only gripe is it refuses to eat Winchester ammo. For some reason I'll always get a FTE every 4-5 magazines. It'll chew up pretty much anything else though, and I've put some pretty cheap shells through it. All in all I'd say it's a pretty decent weapon for the price.

There is a range near me that is pretty nice. Nothing special but not crap either. Its $10 all day. They have 100 yard rifle, 50 hand gun, and two shotgun stations (you have to bring your own thrower). That isn't bad at all, to me.

My range which is similar cost me $40/year. Unfortunately it is about a hour each way.

Because not all is strictly one-shot stopping power situation per se. Are you going to plunge headlong onto someones property or try to do them wrong under a hail of .22, or maybe consider finding something less risky as a target for nefarious acts?

One can (or could have) bought 500 or more rds of .22 for the price of one box of centerfire pistol or rifle ammo. Even if it's "only" .22 that's a lot of flying lead.

Make no mistake .22 is deadly even if it doesn't knock you down on the spot.

Those things dont even take into consideration potential barter material in a long term no availability or SHTF situation.

I was lucky enough to pick up a brick of .22 for regular prices about a week before everything went up. I can't wait to see what the prices are at this show I'm going to today. I'm hoping to find some affordable .30 carbine.

I had a sporting clays game every Sunday for 15 years, until all this madness. I'd look for sales on #7 shotgun ammo, anything under 3 bucks was time to stock up. It's just gotten to expensive. I don't think the people that are buying this ammo are shooting it. At some point the market will become saturated and until then I am only shooting the 22lr. $20 a box for 22lr that is not OK.

$20 per box? I hope you mean per brick. The 525-550 round bulk packs are about that price around here.

I only know buying ammo in bulk, their were days at the IDPA shoots that we went all day, they would tell new shooters bring 300-500 rounds. Back then I could reload 45acp for about 5c each. Primers and powder were cheep. But yes 20$ for a brick, my bad.

I just got back from another gun show in PA. No one would sell my friend a shotgun because we are from NY even though it is perfectly legal for them to do so. I guess I'm done going to shows for awhile. I did manage to pick up two 15 round Glock mags for $50, not bad at all.

Back