Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is slightly sweet, not much bitterness but very smooth. I love it, can't believe I finally made a decent beer. Gives me hope for things to come.

With ~6lbs of wheat lme and .75 oz hallertau, Brewbuilder is showing 11 IBUS, which is about right, 20 ibus is way to high some this beer

There isnt much bitterness but what little there is balances out the sweetness nicely.

Late extact addition might be making the difference. Putting your ingredients into Brewtarget, I get 12.4 IBU's for all early addition, and 15.4 IBU's for late addition of 60% of the extract as in the original recipe. (I assumed you used the 1/2 # of Carahell - if not, both of these numbers are a litter higher.)Which method did you use with Brewbuilder?

I agree that 20 is too high - I just made one at 19 IBU's and it was too bitter. (Still very good, though)

In the version of Brewbuilder I use it doeasnt have a time on the extraxt addition, it only allows you to set a time with the hop schedule, so i guess this is considering all extract to be added @60 mins, or rather the start of theboil. In reality i added half @ 60 min and half @ 20min. I didnt use any specialty grains, the only ingredients were water, wheat extract, hops @60 min, and yeast. And it was only very slightly bitter and was perfectly balanced with the sweet.

The one thing i will say about this beer is it tasted slightly acidic. It had a mild apple cider acidity. I believe this comes from the yeast, and id like to reduce/remove if possible. I ferment in 2 three gallon carboys so i was thinking of using 3068 in one and maybe another yeast strain in the other. Hate to mess with it i just think it would be an interesting experiment.

I added 1/2 ounce Kent Goldings for 60 minutes, then 1/2 Mt. Hood with 10 minutes left, I calculated that to be about 15 IBU. All I can say is it's pretty close to perfect for an extract brew.

Went ahead and took a gravity reading since it's been a week just to make sure I'm looking good..and I definitely am. My carboy and the area around it and a complete mess (haha), but it's smelling pretty good.

Worst case scenario, I get busy starting up next week and I'll bottle next weekend after a total of 2 weeks in the carboy. Pretty excited.

After 10 days, this brew is in the bottles!

I guess I probably let the temperature get too high at times, because the sample I tried had a bit more banana flavors than I was expecting, but I still can really get behind this for an easy and drinkable ale. Hell, I might make a second batch soon so I can be well stocked come June and July!

Also, I didn't notice much bitterness at all.

3sheetsEMJ said:
Cool, kegging or bottling?

Probably bottling. I am trying to get a kegging system up and running. All I need is a chest freezer and some cornys. I'm a little worried that SWMBO will not go for the chest freezer idea, so I'm debating on going with a smaller Kegerator and using the therm controller for a smaller fermentation chamber. That would be in the garage, out of site and less intrusive.

Very nice. I'll hit 2 weeks in bottles on Monday. Trying very hard not to try one out now. We've had some crazy weather here lately, but it seems like we're hitting a warm spell. Can't wait to try one of these out in warm weather.

What is a good amount of time for a normal Hef to ferment? I have one that is at 10 days now but already tastes awesome.

mxpx5678 said:
What is a good amount of time for a normal Hef to ferment? I have one that is at 10 days now but already tastes awesome.

10 days to 2 weeks... 2 weeks @ 63 degrees ambient on mine was perfect, ready to drink after 2 or 3 days in the keg.

mxpx5678 said:
I have one that is at 10 days now but already tastes awesome.

Also i should note, me and a buddy tasted it right out of the fermentor as we were kegging, liked it so much we poured ourselves a glass each, let them sit in the freezer for a few to cool down, then drank them right there, tasted great!!

Bottling this recipe tonight after a 10 day fermentation. Looks like I should be able to crack open my first bottle in about a week. More importantly, this should the last batch I "have" to bottle. As I sat last night at the sink, rinsing and rinsing and rinsing bottles, I thought to myself how awesome it will be to just sit back with a draft pour and watch it rack into my keg.

Yeah i went through the same thing and much prefer the keg. One thinf i like is that you can control the carbonation level on a keg, if its a little low, just up the psi and youre good. Also something very nice about going over to my frig and pouring a nice frothy glass off the tap!!

Oh wow. Couldn't help myself, so I popped a bottle after 10 days. Since I did 10 days in carboy, 10 in bottles, this is a beer I didn't even make 3 weeks ago. Boy is this a nice one already. Very smooth, tasty wheaty flavor with subtle banana tones in the background. Gonna have to try and hid these away for at least another week or two for my own safety! :p

Oh wow. Couldn't help myself, so I popped a bottle after 10 days. Since I did 10 days in carboy, 10 in bottles, this is a beer I didn't even make 3 weeks ago. Boy is this a nice one already. Very smooth, tasty wheaty flavor with subtle banana tones in the background. Gonna have to try and hid these away for at least another week or two for my own safety! :p

This is my problem. My Cream Ale was so good, I only have a couple bottles left. I should hide them lol. They've been in bottles for a month now and it just keeps getting better each one I crack open.

I went to my local homebrew shop, but since I'm still a newb, I bought 8 oz of Caramalt instead of Carahell (I didn't see carahell, so I figured I must have written it down wrong).

Will using caramalt totally throw this off or is it a decent enough idea to just go ahead with it?

It's only been 2 weeks, and I believe I have 12 bottles out of 50 left.

Luckily, myself and everyone who tried it was a big fan. This will definitely be constantly stocked this summer.

Rhuarc said:
Similar question, I read somewhere that Carahell is just a brand name of Caramel Malt.

Could this: http://store.homebrewheaven.com/german-caramel-pils-malt-p2036.aspx

be used in replacement of Carahell? This seems to be the only Caramel Malt they carry.

Thanks!

If youre only using 8 ozs i cant imagine it would make that much of a difference, and it sounds to me like it would be a very tasty addition!

new brew store just opened up in the next town over. now i know what simple recipe im going to try. lol. cheers mate! =D

I just brewed this tonight. I followed the recipe exactly so I'm sure it's going to be great!

I think I timed this one perfectly; it will be conditioned and chilled just in time for the summer!

We brewed this one Friday night using Wyeast 3068. I have it fermenting at 72 degrees using a blowoff tube. It was furiously bubbling for the first 36 hours. It has since slowed down. Is this normal for this yeast and this beer? One other question is regarding the Fermometors when being used with a plastic bucket. Is it accurate regarding the actual fermentation temp?

Based off of the comments in this thread I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

We brewed this one Friday night using Wyeast 3068. I have it fermenting at 72 degrees using a blowoff tube. It was furiously bubbling for the first 36 hours. It has since slowed down. Is this normal for this yeast and this beer? One other question is regarding the Fermometors when being used with a plastic bucket. Is it accurate regarding the actual fermentation temp?

Based off of the comments in this thread I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

This link has the fermometer instructions and accuracy: http://tkachenterprises.com/Products.html

I read the directions at that link but it doesn't mention errors when using a plastic fermenter instead of a glass carboy.

Thanks for the help though!

just picked up my ingredients today, no Briess Bavarian Wheat DME, so I just got the Muntons Wheat DME, 6# of it. I also switched to 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend, can't wait to brew :ban:

It's only been about a week an a half, but I just couldn't resist. I cracked open a test bottle and was completely floored. 2 days and 8 bottles later I'm worried that I'm not going to make it to the 3 week bottle condition mark...

Yes people, for such a simple recipe, it's that good.

Thanks op for the recipe.

I highly recommend a blowoff for this.

HooterHef.jpg

I used the OP recipe as inspiration for my brew yesterday, with a few alterations.

8 oz Carapils
3.3 lbs Bavarian wheat LME, 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger, 60 min
3.3 lbs Bavarian wheat LME, 10 min
1 oz Tettnanger, 10 min
Wyeast 3333 (German wheat)

I might secondary this with a couple pounds of frozen raspberries, if I can wait all the longer.

Anyone else use wyeast 3333?

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago with some slight alterations.
The lhbs didn't have tetnanger so I used hallertau and I had a wild hair up my butt and wanted notes of bubblegum instead of banana so I used wlp400 Belgian wit yeast. The guys at the lhbs were like "um your gonna want some coriander and orange peels with that yeast" I declined. Any way it has been in the keg for about a week and it's almost gone it turned out pretty tasty for 2 weeks primary and straight to keg. I get notes of bubblegum when a wedge of citrus is added to the glass but I don't think I would do this yeast again with this recipe.
I like the beer and turn around so I plan to brew it next batch, slightly modified to use death brewers biab partial method. Here's what I'm thinking
8oz carahell (leftovers)
3.5# wheat malt
2# 2row or Pilsen (haven't decided probably 2row)
2# Bavarian wheat dme
1oz tetnanger (or what ever noble type lhbs has in stock)
Danstar Munich yeast
I know the grain bill is slightly over shooting(not by much) the op's recipe but I'm still new to mashing and figured it wouldn't hurt if I get low efficiency.

Ventucky's Finest

Ventucky805 said:
Any way it has been in the keg for about a week and it's almost gone it turned out pretty tasty for 2 weeks primary and straight to keg.
Ventucky's Finest

Yeah this stuff ferments quick! Within about 2 wks i kegged and it was delicious within 3 days. A week after keg it had even cleared a little and people told me it was one of the best wheat beers they had ever had. Im definitely making this again soon, its a nice light spring beer. The only thing is its a little tough to keep the fermentation temp down. I made a basic swamp cooler, but even that can be tough to regulate, and i am afraid at some point im going to create off flavors due to high temperature swings, but we'll see.

sylvan said:
I might secondary this with a couple pounds of frozen raspberries, if I can wait all the longer.
?

That sounds very interesting, let me know how that turns out, the tartness of the raspberrys will be a nice touch with the sweetness of the banana flavor, youd just have to make sure its a good balance.

Long-time reader, first time poster. This isn't my first homebrew, but I needed a quick and simple one to be ready for summer and this looks to be the one. I can't wait for this to be done! My last one, a creamy dark ale, went very well. Thanks for this recipe.

IMG_1017.JPG

Just finished bottling. FG sample tasted great. Can't wait for the carbed and chilled version.

Brewing the partial version of this right now.

image-1865560929.jpg

Using my daughters blanket and a few clean fluffy towels to make my brew kettle into a ghetto mash tun.

image-4140196301.jpg

With the dry yeast grain combo even buying 3# Bavarian wheat with a pound left over for next time, this has turned out to be a cost effective recipe as well as one silly quick turn around time

image-2654798966.jpg

There's nothing really wrong with my Franken wheat with wlp 400 every body has enjoyed it and it is easy to drink. Enjoying one right now.
I am thinking of starting a culture of some trader joes mission street hefewiezen and the body color ect seem almost the same to me and I like the yeast in that one. I guess I could call forestone walker and ask them about if they are bottle conditioned or pasturized. But at 2 bucks a 22 I might as well drink one and dump yeast onto some dme and see if bubbles happen.

Sorry for my ramblings.
+>9000 for the simple/cheaper hefewiezen
Ventucky's
Finest

image-1222748108.jpg

Another one in the bucket more details in about 2 weeks.

image-3263688927.jpg

The OG sample looks promising similar to the extract version I brewed 3.5 weeks ago

Sorry late night brewing on the west coast.
Ventucky's
Finest

Back