Advise on how to deal with a "blonde"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
Getting ready to work on a little Blonde this weekend. Looking for advice on how much honey and at what point in the boil it should be added. Striving for just a hint of that sweet taste in the background. My ingredients are as follows-

Extract 5 gals.
60 minute boil
5 lbs. Extra light dry extract, 3.0 srm
1 lb Cara Pils/ Dextrine , 2.0 srm
.5 oz cascade hops
.5 oz centennial hops
1 pkg Nottingham yeast
Irish moss

Thanks!

Well, you put the blond on her back and make sure the honey is warm before you drizzle onto her...uhm, err, oh a blonde ale right.

Honey ferments out completely so you aren't going to get a honey sweetness from fermenting it, you will get the actual flavor of the honey which is easy to cover up with hops, especially C-hops. If you want that full honey flavor you'd need to do something like ferment the beer out, filter the yeast, and then add honey. I haven't brewed to much with honey, but when I have I have added it at flameout and I have added directly into the carboy. For your recipe I'd go with around .5 lb.

Bensiff, certainly good advice when going after any sweet delight. I'll let you know how this turns out---the beer that is.

Back