Thick IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunch87

Reaction score
So my second ever batch of beer is an IPA. It used steeping grains and DME along with copious amounts of hops. Anyways Im about 3 days away from racking it to my secondary but it is still super thick. Ive got about an inch and a half to two inches of sediment. Should I filter while racking it over? or is the secondary fermenting basically going to filter by settling?

its like visibly thick. we tried to do a hydrometer reading after we had added the water but it was so thick it gave a way high reading. Im I just paranoid?
its been fermenting since sunday.

The beer should not be thick. What is the formula you used for this beer? The wort should really be about the same viscosity as water.

Is it thick because you left the hops from the boil in the fermenter,or just used a ton of DME? Trying to imagine why it's "thick"? & Racking after 1 week isn't what I'd recommend. Let it hit FG 1st,then give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. Unless you're going to dry hop,then get a stable FG & dry hop 1 week. A use hop sacks when dry hopping. Keeps things cleaner & unplugged when racking to the bottling bucket.

So I used pellet hops in the boil and left them in. This is a recipe I got from the local brewing store. I rack it over into the secondary and dry hop for the remaining 21 days. Is that too long to dry hop?

Back