American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have the time and the pipeline. Would you suggest leaving this in primary longer? I don't think I would want to leave it in secondary on hops longer than this. The other question, worth dryhopping in the primary? I don't have another 6.5 carboy. Not a bad problem to have, they are all filled.:drunk:

I dryhopped this one in the primary (and it sat in the primary for ~6 weeks total) for around 3 weeks, as I had to free up a keg. Worked just fine. Unless you're planning on harvesting your yeast (which for a beer this size, you probably shouldn't), it'll be OK.

So I have the time and the pipeline. Would you suggest leaving this in primary longer? I don't think I would want to leave it in secondary on hops longer than this. The other question, worth dryhopping in the primary? I don't have another 6.5 carboy. Not a bad problem to have, they are all filled.:drunk:

When I last did this one, I did a primary only. Seem to remember 3 weeks. I don't remember whether I dry hopped in the primary or the keg, however, as that was about the time I started keg hopping.

For primary, I dry hop once the ferment has slowed way down (~ 1 + weeks at 62 degrees). However, some don't like to dry hop that long (3 weeks minus 1 week = 2 weeks), as they feel grassy flavors can develop. I haven't had a problem with that yet, but I do keep it cool. I think temperature affects the dry hopping process.

YMMV,
Rich

I have had it fermenting between 62 and 63 for 2 weeks today. I was thinking I would give it another week and then dryhop for a week. In the original recipe it says to dryhop at 65. Any specific reason for the temp increase? I have another fermenting at 62 in the same chamber. I figured I would give them both another week, dryhop for a week and get them conditioning. Not sure about moving the temp up. Hard to tell if it is vital to the recipe, or a note about the temp of Yooper's basement!

Made a version of this and have been drinking it for a few weeks. Really pleased with how it came out!

We did a side by side blind comparison the other day w/ a bottle of the real deal. Our clone had a less 'sharp' hop aroma and bite on the tongue than did the Stone. Before we revealed their identities, I was pretty sure that the Stone was the clone b/c it had a bit of a medicinal kick to it that I figured to be a mistake of mine, rather than the professionals. :) Our version was slightly darker, but pretty close.

In the end, both of us gave higher thumbs up to the clone, but that could be a matter of freshness. Anyway, thanks for a great recipe!

Brought this up for bottling today. It had been in primary at 62-64 for 3 weeks and 64 dryhopping in primary for another week. I checked the gravity and it was 1.020. I decided not to bottle yet. Will letting it come up to 74 start this again? I would love to see it drop a bit. Don't really need any bottle bombs. Also should I pull the hops? Been in for a week. Don't want a grassy taste. Ok to go another week, or should I pull them? :mug:

Thanks

Brought this up for bottling today. It had been in primary at 62-64 for 3 weeks and 64 dryhopping in primary for another week. I checked the gravity and it was 1.020. I decided not to bottle yet. Will letting it come up to 74 start this again? I would love to see it drop a bit. Don't really need any bottle bombs. Also should I pull the hops? Been in for a week. Don't want a grassy taste. Ok to go another week, or should I pull them? :mug:

Thanks

I don't like dryhopping for more than a week or so, especially at warmer temperatures. I don't know if it'll go lower or not- it would depend on why it's at 1.020 I guess.

OK. I will bow to your wisdom and take the hops out. Luckily I did put them in a hop bag this time.
As far as the gravity, it started at 1.072. The only thing I can think is that the temp was too cold to finish. I used WLP001 as I couldn't get the Pacman suggested. Perhaps the WLP001 is having a hard time with it? I have only used this yeast with lower ABV brews.

I'd go with another week at higher temp, just in case. If you mashed a bit warmer than usual or had a bad crush, it could bring you up a few points. If after a few days in the 70s, it remains at 1.020, go ahead and bottle, but it doesn't sound like you're in a huge rush, so may as well give it a bit just to check.

Planning my next brew with my wife and you Dogfish extract clone was awesome!! So I was leaning towards that and ran into this thanks.

I brewed this last night to try out my new mash tun. I didn't check my gravities until I was ready to pitch the yeast. My OG was 1.052, ouch.... So I had decided to mash the grain again, collected another 2 gallons of wort, and boiled that for around 4 hours until there was only around 1/2 gallon left. The gravity of the concentrate was around 1.135. After adding the concentrated wort and my starter to the batch, I reached the 6 gallon mark at 1.066. I guess we will see how this turns out. I started at 9 AM and didn't finish until midnight. Looks like I have some bugs to fix with my process and new mash tun.

It's brew day and realized I ordered 1oz of Magnum.....still rolling with this brew it's Sun and my LHBS is closed.Hoping it works out!!

I just brewed the extract recipe today on my stove top. I live in Vegas so its way to hot out to consider brewing out doors right now. My question is I started with a 2.5 gallon boil but lost about a good .5 gallon due to evaporation so the end result was a delicious smelling green wort! Even after adding more water to the fermentor to the 5.5 mark it was still pretty dark green from all the hop additions. Has anyone else had this issue? Im hoping its just a S ton of trub that will settle before dry hopping. Also i went with 9lbs of DME and had a OG of 1.077 but only pitched a White Labs tube. The ol lady and I decided to brew this up while we were having some beers the day before so there was no time for a starter. My second question is after a week if my gravity isnt where it should be can I pitch a second tube or use a packet of dry yeast to further attenuate?

If it gets to that point, I'd re-pitch, but you may get there as-is. Just be alert that you may get some esters or harsh flavors, particularly with the weather being as warm as it is (unless you have a fermentation chiller?).

I've never had pure green wort before, but it'll change a bit as time passes and fermentation takes place, so a fair bit of it will likely settle out.

I brewed this again yesterday and am excited. I ended up with 12 gallons of Wort @ 1.071OG. I used wlp002 English ale yeast last time and wasn't able to control my fermentation temps. I am fermenting in a 65 degree environment this time and using wlp001 California ale yeast. Also did a 45 minute flame out hop addition instead of immediately chilling. I am very excited to see how this turns out and will let you all know also. Btw, in case it wasn't said before, this recipe is really really good even with the previous mistakes I made.

Moose777 said:

Started at 9 am. After organizing my brewday schedule, heating water, mashing, heating water, sparging, boiling, finding out my gravity was way low, thinking of what to do, heated more water, mashed again, heated more water, sparged again, boiled for 4 hours to concentrate it, mixing in the concentrate, pitching the yeast, and after finishing all the cleaning, it was midnight. Im drining this batch now, and its mighty fine.

I'm doing the basic recipe, but have substituted all amarillo. Hydro sample tasted fabulous. Looking forward to dry hopping this in a few days. However, it is now its own DIPA, not a clone in any way. I don't care. I just want to make delicious beer.:D

How did the recipe with the Amarillo substitution work out with the Ruination? Amarillo is one my my favorites. Could you share the recipe with me please? Look forward to hearing from you.

Old thread, but looks like a great recipe! I'm going to start doing the math for this so I can do a batch next weekend. I've got the Magnum, some Perle, and a bit of Cascades. I'll be getting more hops, obviously, but any thoughts on mixing in the Perle and Cascades somewhere along the line?

I'll probably do a FWH and a late hop instead of the written schedule, plus a dry hop (duh).

Looks so good! I'm glad this will be a good young drinker, since I'm only 6 days into my first fermentation (SNPA clone) and I'm just dying to get it done!

Old thread, but looks like a great recipe! I'm going to start doing the math for this so I can do a batch next weekend. I've got the Magnum, some Perle, and a bit of Cascades. I'll be getting more hops, obviously, but any thoughts on mixing in the Perle and Cascades somewhere along the line?

I'll probably do a FWH and a late hop instead of the written schedule, plus a dry hop (duh).

Looks so good! I'm glad this will be a good young drinker, since I'm only 6 days into my first fermentation (SNPA clone) and I'm just dying to get it done!

I don't know what the final taste will be like with the cascades and perle mix instead of centennial. It won't be anything like Stone Ruination, more like SNPA, but it will still be good I'm sure. I don't use perle much in late additions, though, as I don't care for the flavor/aroma as much as the citrusy US C-hops.

I don't know what the final taste will be like with the cascades and perle mix instead of centennial. It won't be anything like Stone Ruination, more like SNPA, but it will still be good I'm sure. I don't use perle much in late additions, though, as I don't care for the flavor/aroma as much as the citrusy US C-hops.

Well, I picked up 4oz of Centennial, I was thinking I'll mix half of them with the hops I have and just create a hybrid to use through the boil, then dry hop with the other 2oz of Centennial. I'm sure I'll do something silly along the way that would put me outside of Clone town anyway. :)

I've had my batch in 1ry for 3 weeks now. Hopefully I'll finally have time tomorrow to rack to 2ry and dry hop. I'm a little nervous because I pitched while it was hot and fermented over 80F for the first 5 days :S . Hopefully the yeasties will clean it up for me.

This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention, but this really is a fantastic recipe. I brewed up a batch a couple months ago and I'm steadily plowing my way through the bottles.

Side by side, I preferred this to the Ruination. Someone once suggested that they tasted a bit of onion in the Ruination, and ever since I haven't been able to get that out of my head as I taste it. Needless to say, the HB version doesn't go there.

Thanks Yooper!

This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention, but this really is a fantastic recipe. I brewed up a batch a couple months ago and I'm steadily plowing my way through the bottles.

Side by side, I preferred this to the Ruination. Someone once suggested that they tasted a bit of onion in the Ruination, and ever since I haven't been able to get that out of my head as I taste it. Needless to say, the HB version doesn't go there.

Thanks Yooper!

I love it too. It's one of my favorite brews.

Well this recipe turned into my 4th AG batch, and I missed my SG it ended up at 1.070, but I don't mind, because I ended up with around 6-1/4 gallons in the primary, so I guess I had a less rolling boil? Meh. Just means more left after the hops soak up my precious!

First post. New to brewing. I am brewing the extract method of this recipe tomorrow. I will be using a full boil, should I start with about 6.5 gallons of water to allow for boil off? How long should I steep my grains and at what temp? Should I add my full 8# of DME at beginning with the full boil or save half for flame out? I would appreciate any I put.

Well I'm going to start by saying I'm not an expert (yet). All I can say is the start volume will depend on your equipment's evaporation rate, which varies depending on the btu rate of the burner and other factors. I did an all-grain version but for extract brewing I used to steep for 30 minutes at 170°F. As far as the DME, I always added it at the start of the boil. My batch had an extremely aggressive fermentation, so I would recommend a 6.5 gallon carboy or bottling bucket with a blowoff tube for the primary. I made the mistake of using my 5 gallon carboy and lost 1.75 gallons of my batch :S

Good luck and happy brewing! :)

First post. New to brewing. I am brewing the extract method of this recipe tomorrow. I will be using a full boil, should I start with about 6.5 gallons of water to allow for boil off? How long should I steep my grains and at what temp? Should I add my full 8# of DME at beginning with the full boil or save half for flame out? I would appreciate any I put.

Boiloff will usually range from somewhere around 1-1.5 gallons per hour, depending on your burner, pot size, etc. 6.5 seems like a reasonable plan to start with, although you might want to go 7 to err on the side of caution.

Steeping temperature isn't terribly critical, so long as it's above 150F and below 170F; the latter is the more critical of the two, as if you go into the 170+ range, you can start to extract tannins from the grains, which will adversely affect the flavor of the final beer.

If you're doing full boil, there isn't any huge reason to split the extract additions, as you typically want to do that in order to boost IBU extraction from a partial boil batch. You should be fine adding it all at the start.

i did a 2 1/2 gallon boil with 9lbs of extract about 4 oz of continuous hops, 4oz of secondary dry hops and bottled for about a month so far and tastes amazing! My wort was toxic sludge green and now pours a beautiful amber hue. great recipe. I will be making again fo sho!

sooooo. I think this will be my first All Grain brew. I just got a 15 gallon pot off of craigslist. I do not have a mash tun but I do have pots that are:

15 gallon
6 gallon
2 x 3 gallon

How can I do a BIAB type of all grain brew with these pots?

So I mash in the 15 gallon pot and I sparge in the 6?

That would work. You could even double-sparge if you only use half the sparge volume at a time and can hang the bag over the big pot to drip while you dump the first sparge into the big pot. You can use a 3-gallon pot to heat the second batch while the first is sparging! I've never heard of anybody doing this, but why not? :)

Mash with 6 gallons of water, then sparge with 4 gallons however you choose (single or double). This was my best friend for my first two batches.

There's a great sticky on BIAB that you should look at. Pictures and everything.

On a related note, I've got this brew dry hopping right now, bottling this weekend. I tasted when I got the dry hops in and checked the gravity, and it was FANTASTIC! Tasted pretty much exactly like my favorite local IPA. I almost didn't want to dry hop because it was perfect as it was. :)

How hard and fast is the "dry hop after 7 days" rule? I'm at abut 11 days, that's not an issue is it? Essentially I dry hop when I reach FG, no?

I've just today been enlightened with the notion that transferring to secondary isn't really necessary, so I'm just throwing the hops in tonight yay!

I am fairly new to brewing, and I attempted this recipe (extract) for my third batch. I dropped 2 ounces of the magnum in for the entire boil. How drAmatic of an effect will this have on the beer? I also misread the recipe and switched to the secondary after only a week and dry hopped for 2 weeks. I am right on with the temps. The fermentation had significantly slowed before I pitched the dry hops. Should I add more because fermentation wasn't complete?

I am fairly new to brewing, and I attempted this recipe (extract) for my third batch. I dropped 2 ounces of the magnum in for the entire boil. How drAmatic of an effect will this have on the beer? I also misread the recipe and switched to the secondary after only a week and dry hopped for 2 weeks. I am right on with the temps. The fermentation had significantly slowed before I pitched the dry hops. Should I add more because fermentation wasn't complete?

What is the current SG? and how does the beer taste at this point?

My sg was 1.073. I didn't take a reading when I moved from primary to secondary. It is currently in the 1st week in secondary with the dry hops. I tasted the bottom of the barrel of the primary, but mostly got a mouthful of hops.

Latest posts

Back