Low temp Pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Once upon a time I read somewhere that heting honey to over 180°F drives off the delicate flavors, so I have stuck in my craw that I could hold a honey and water mixture at 140°F for i think 40 minutes to kill off the nasties before I pitch my yeast.

But I am striking out on finding it.

What I have is about three liters of creek water I nabbed out of Whiskey Creek on Star Hill Farm in Loretto, KY a couple weeks ago. It is probably at or near the saturation point for CaCO3 at STP. I have filtered it twice through coffee filters, no spiders or visible algae the second time through, but I want to do some kind of heated rest to make sure I have at least most of the nasties killed off.

I don't want to boil it because I know that will precipitate a bunch of the calcium and I suspect it is the calcium that makes the nose in my snifter blossom.

Once I get it it clean I would like to do some testing with RO and LHBS CaCO3
to see if I can get close. I ran out of creek water from my trip to Scotland many years ago.

My basic recipe is one snifter of good whisk(e)y with two drops of water -from the distillers own water source where possible- to bring out the nose.

TIA4Y2c, if I find it I'll stick it in the wiki.

P

Pasteurization
Pas*teur`i*za"tion\, n. A process devised by Pasteur for preventing or checking fermentation in fluids, such as wines, milk, etc., by exposure to a temperature of 140[deg] F., thus destroying the vitality of the contained germs or ferments.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

NOT A NERD i THINK 140f IS GOOD

Vat pasteurization at 145F takes about 30 minutes.

Do you have a reference? It sounds about right honestly, I am just really curious.

Once upon a time I could get from the mead section here to a table that showed time v- temp for Pasteurization.

There was an exponent at work, around 140-150 degrees times got dramatically shorter as temp went up, while below that range times got dramatically longer as temp eased lower and lower.

Like two hours at 130°F maybe?

Heat and time are inversely proportional. The pasteurization technique they use for milk is 72C for 15 seconds. This won't sterilize the milk but it gives it a much longer shelf life. Creamers that can be left at room temperature are sterile because they undergo Ultra-high-temperature (UHT) that uses heat @ 140C for less than one second and cool rapidly. As far as pasteurization for beer, I'm not sure. But I bet they use a fast process much like milk or creamers.

Back