sanitation question for plastic and stainless steel implements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Pirate

Reaction score
I have come to realize that Star San sanitizer has become popular with homebrewers because of its effectiveness, relatively short contact time required, and no need to rinse. It is acidic though, and that can corrode plastics and metals.

I'm assuming the answer is that it'll be ok, but how will Star San affect my stainless steel and plastic brewing equipment over time?

In it's concentrated form I think it is pretty destructive. But if have not heard of any issues if diluted to the recommended levels.

Diluted to it's proper levels, nothing will happen to plastic. I have a bucket I've been holding starsan in for the last three months and nothing's happened to it. Although it's not recommended to leave starsan in kegs or other SS implements, I've left a ladle in the bucket for a solid week and nothing happened to it.

Diluted to it's proper levels, nothing will happen to plastic. I have a bucket I've been holding starsan in for the last three months and nothing's happened to it. Although it's not recommended to leave starsan in kegs or other SS implements, I've left a ladle in the bucket for a solid week and nothing happened to it.

well, how long will a solution be effective as a sanitizer? Also, will it bleach out clothes or be destructive to cloth or towels?

I have not found it to bleach out any of my clothes or towels in its diluted form, but i wouldn't let any clothes you care about sit in it for too long. If you keep the solution out of direct light it can be effective for a pretty long time. When it starts to get hazy dump it and make up a new batch. I store mine covered in cheap painters bucket. The stuff is cheap enough that you dont want to mess up a batch of beer because you used bad sanitizer, but I haven't heard of that happening to be honest with you.

I have been using it for over a year and keep an old fermentation bucket full at all times so no worries there. I do have one stainless piece of equipement it specifically said NOT to use star san on. I did anyways and it turned black. Still works fine though, just an ugly looking colour. The rest of my stainless stuff is fine - but I don't leave it in for prolonged periods of time.

As for clothes etc I still have many pairs of brewing jeans and T-shirts that have bleach marks on them, but no new marks from star san.

GT

Back