Solid or stranded wire in my control box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwelch1103

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on whether to use solid or stranded wire in my control box. Seems that solid would make for a neater looking wiring job while stranded would make for an easier time.
Will be using 10 AWG THHN wire in the box for both the 240V and 120V circuits.
Thoughts anyone?

10 gauge is overkill for most of the wiring. You only need 10 gauge for wiring the elements to the SSR's and wiring the SSR's to the main power input. I'd recommend stranded in that gauge. 10 gauge stranded is still pretty stiff.

14 gauge is fine for most of the wiring, and solid or stranded in that gauge is easy to work with.

Stranded is so much easier to work with. I don't care what it looks like, since I never look inside.

A little tip for crimping stranded if you want a connection that won't break or birdcage. Tin the wire, crimp as usual, the a little flux and flow a little more solder into the connector. Might be overkill but makes a bullet proof connection. Also when twisting more than one wire together twist the opposite direction of the factory twist of the wires. Doesn't feel natural but it binds them tight.

Here's another tip for stranded wire: when you strip it, before taking the insulation completely off give it a little turn and your stranded wires will be nicely twisted together.

Back