Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one of those that would beep before zap and our dog learned that quickly and is now terrified of beeping. So now if the oven gets turned on she bolts outside for 3 hours. We got home one night and the smoke detector battery was getting low and started beeping and she tore the honky Tonk out of the curtains and screen trying to get out

Fortunately my 2 nutjobs can easily recognize a "real" beep vs a fake beep.

MC

Fortunately my 2 nutjobs can easily recognize a "real" beep vs a fake beep.

MC

Mine hasn't come close to his boundaries since trained either. We've moved 3 times and I set it up, I don't even bother with the flags he will walk around the yard once find his limits and respect them with or without the collar on. As a matter of fact the batteries have been dead for about 3 months now.

The only time he will cross the boundaries is if he's on leash led by either me or swmbo. Otherwise you couldn't coax him over. He's ape**** for tennis balls but if one goes past the line he lays down and barks at it

Indeed. I love that electronic fence! Of course Barley (the red one) won't set a paw within 10-ft of a white flag now, but that's a different story LOL

MC

We had one of those that would beep before zap and our dog learned that quickly and is now terrified of beeping. So now if the oven gets turned on she bolts outside for 3 hours. We got home one night and the smoke detector battery was getting low and started beeping and she tore the honky Tonk out of the curtains and screen trying to get out

A friend of ours had one of those. His dog learned that if he got a good running start then the zap wouldn't last very long. Then he'd be FREE!!! :D

A friend of ours had one of those. His dog learned that if he got a good running start then the zap wouldn't last very long. Then he'd be FREE!!! :D

That is kind of how Harper is with the back fence. It is half height and he can stand up and look over it. Normally, as in enough I am not worried about leaving him out back, it is enough to keep him in. Sometimes though if he gets excited enough he goes right over it like it wasn't even there, lol. This usually involves possums or cats or other neighborhood wildlife wandering in the yard then fleeing and him following. Has only happened twice in five years so, like I said, not too worried about it but it does happen.

That is kind of how Harper is with the back fence. It is half height and he can stand up and look over it. Normally, as in enough I am not worried about leaving him out back, it is enough to keep him in. Sometimes though if he gets excited enough he goes right over it like it wasn't even there, lol. This usually involves possums or cats or other neighborhood wildlife wandering in the yard then fleeing and him following. Has only happened twice in five years so, like I said, not too worried about it but it does happen.

We're planning on putting in a low fence in the front yard. We'd only have him out there when we're with him so it would be enough.

The back yard has a 6' fence which we always thought was enough. Then one day we let him out and one of the neighbor's cats was in the yard. The cat took off and he ran after it. The cat went up the fence and disappeared. KB didn't go over, but he sprung straight up and looked over the top of it without even touching it. Made us realize that he could probably go right over if he wanted to.

He's pretty good about boundaries. I can leave the gate open and go out front and tell him to stay in the back and he'll come as far as the gate and wait for me. I wouldn't trust him not to lose his mind if a squirrel happened to run past though.

We're planning on putting in a low fence in the front yard. We'd only have him out there when we're with him so it would be enough.

The back yard has a 6' fence which we always thought was enough. Then one day we let him out and one of the neighbor's cats was in the yard. The cat took off and he ran after it. The cat went up the fence and disappeared. KB didn't go over, but he sprung straight up and looked over the top of it without even touching it. Made us realize that he could probably go right over if he wanted to.

He's pretty good about boundaries. I can leave the gate open and go out front and tell him to stay in the back and he'll come as far as the gate and wait for me. I wouldn't trust him not to lose his mind if a squirrel happened to run past though.

Are you.sure you dont.have my dog? That's Barley to a T.

Yeah same deal. The fence seems to be more of an accepted boundary with us. When he goes over it he is giving chase so the part of his brain that would normally stop him doesn't. For the most part though we have an agreement. Like I open the front door to get packages and he just sits inside looking out or when I drop something on the floor (on purpose or on accident) he waits for me to give the OK before taking it or sitting outside the room while I prep his food and waiting to be "let in" to eat.

He isn't trained quite well enough though that I push the issue on some things. Like I don't go get stuff out of the car with the front door open or leave gates open or any of that. Too many things to distract him and once he got out then it turns into a game, lol.

Funny story though. I leave him out on the deck for extended periods cause he likes chilling out there. Nice view, lots of smells, good sun/breeze. Anyway, I let him out late evening and leave him out while I am doing some stuff. I come back to let him in and he doesn't answer. I'm like "Aww crap"... go inside, put on shoes, grab the flashlight, open the front door and he is laying there on the door mat waiting to be let in. :p No barking or anything, just sitting there chilling. My office window is right next to the front door and is always open so he must've ninja'd up there, heard me in the office and just chilled. About a week later I am talking to my neighbor over the fence and he is like "Oh yeah he took off after a possum and had him pinned in my yard. Wasn't hurting him or anything just playing. Anyway, the possum played dead and I told him to go home so he took off." :p

My last dog that passed away, would catch possums then shake them in his mouth and throw them over the fence into the yard next door. I always had a mental picture of the next door mom and kids having a tea party and a pissed off possum falls from the sky. Those neighbors don't wave back at me.

NOT with the wireless. That's a common misconception.

The wireless version of the fence will KEEP zapping until the dog returns to the yard. This is a much superior version than the wired version.

My first Aussie, Jacks, had been trained on the wired fence before. So he took a go at TRYING to cross the line on the wireless. He was met with a continuous zap, so he pretty quickly ran back into the safety of the yard. He gave me a nasty look of disgust, the one that means "I'm f*cked now, a-hole.". LOL

I've never had one escape the wireless EXCEPT when the collars' batteries are dead. Aussies (at least, mine) will continuously "try the limits" and will know if they can run out. I check the batteries at least once a week.

MC

The wireless version of the fence will KEEP zapping until the dog returns to the yard. This is a much superior version than the wired version.

My first Aussie, Jacks, had been trained on the wired fence before. So he took a go at TRYING to cross the line on the wireless. He was met with a continuous zap, so he pretty quickly ran back into the safety of the yard. He gave me a nasty look of disgust, the one that means "I'm f*cked now, a-hole.". LOL

I've never had one escape the wireless EXCEPT when the collars' batteries are dead. Aussies (at least, mine) will continuously "try the limits" and will know if they can run out. I check the batteries at least once a week.

MC

Mines an Aussie and he respects the line regardless of wearing the collar or not. You still have to train your dog's people, these fences are a safety feature/training aid, not a turn it on and expect fido to teach himself to stop chasing things.

But no it will not continue to correct beyond the line, it WILL stop after 5 seconds, but what dog wants to get zapped for 5 seconds? Ozzy (my acd) has only felt the correction once, he's never tested the line since.

The petsafe version has what is called run through protection, allowing them back into the yard without an additional shock as well.

Cocoa, our rescue dog, is a runner and I guess that is why we found him dodging traffic on a state highway. Anyways, he will take off any chance he gets (I guess he likes exploring). We started with a 3 foot fence and that ended up being an easy hurdle for him to jump over. We then tried lining the inside of the fence with an invisible dog fence. Well, all that did was make him afraid to go into the back yard at all?! So then we went big and put in an 8 foot fence which seems to do the trick. The only problem is, his sister Bella is a digger and she would dig holes that he could fit under?! So we lined the fence with river rock! :mug:

Now the only time he seems to escape is if one of us leaves our gate to our backyard open. The funny thing is if we happen to leave the gate open and the dogs get out, Bella will not leave our yard or the neighbors and usually comes back to the deck barking frantically as if signaling us that Cocoa is on the loose again. :)

just remembered another weird thing my dog likes to eat: wood charcoal. not nasty factory-made gas-soaked briquettes (i'd never cook with those), i'm talking about about natural charred wood. i get mine from whole foods. she gets a small piece every time i break out the grill. then she has a black tongue :D

our Cirka is an escape artist. she's learned to unlatch the gate, we now have to "lock" it with a carabiner. lucky for us she's not a jumper - 3 feet fences keep her in the yard. she will, however, bolt through any gate left open more than 3.7 seconds. when she gets out it becomes a big game for her - "explore the neighborhood and run away from the friendbeast". gets old pretty fast for this friendbeast, luckily she is so distracted by the freedom/squirrels/new smells/etc she's pretty easy to catch.

just remembered another weird thing my dog likes to eat: wood charcoal. not nasty factory-made gas-soaked briquettes (i'd never cook with those), i'm talking about about natural charred wood. i get mine from whole foods. she gets a small piece every time i break out the grill. then she has a black tongue :D

our Cirka is an escape artist. she's learned to unlatch the gate, we now have to "lock" it with a carabiner. lucky for us she's not a jumper - 3 feet fences keep her in the yard. she will, however, bolt through any gate left open more than 3.7 seconds. when she gets out it becomes a big game for her - "explore the neighborhood and run away from the friendbeast". gets old pretty fast for this friendbeast, luckily she is so distracted by the freedom/squirrels/new smells/etc she's pretty easy to catch.

If I am not mistaken there was a miner in China who subsisted on coal (not charcoal but Minecraft tells me they are both the same, just not co-stackable) and water for a few days. I think there are salts in it, which might be making it palatable to your pup.

MC

You say superior, I say cruel.

I don't get how this thread went from "if you don't rescue your a dick" to "shock the piss out of them, that learn 'em".

The rescues/humane societies I have volunteered for wouldn't give you a dog if they knew you were going to use and "invisible" fence or shock collar of any kind.

Just sayin'

I don't get how this thread went from "if you don't rescue your a dick" to "shock the piss out of them, that learn 'em".

The rescues/humane societies I have volunteered for wouldn't give you a dog if they knew you were going to use and "invisible" fence or shock collar of any kind.

Just sayin'

I fully agree. "I rescued my dog and feed him $40 worth of food every day but I'm gonna shock the piss out of him."

Build a real fence and stop hurting your animal.

Just sayin'
I fully agree. "I rescued my dog and feed him $40 worth of food every day but I'm gonna shock the piss out of him."

Build a real fence and stop hurting your animal.

Like I've stated a hundred times already, my dog has only felt the correction once... and the level of correction he felt was not much more than a static charge, I personally felt it before using it. it's called training, you train your animal to not go near the beep. And the beep will indeed be enough. And it is. Anyone saying their dog gets "the piss" zapped out of them isn't bothering to train their dogs and teach them what is going on. As with all training aids it's more about how you train and teach your animal than anything else.

The rescue that I got my dog from was very excited to hear that I would be using a wireless fence and training my dog to respect it.

It is nothing at all like a shock collar either, It is simply a reminder for your pet to stay in the yard. Not all animals need a fortress. I have 7 acres of heavily wooded yard, including a 50 ft cliff, and a silty tidal river bed. You build a fence here... let me know how it works for you.

You can call me a bad pet owner if you want. But I spend more time with my dog every day than anyone I know, between teaching search training and actual search and rescue exercises. When we are home I like to know that he is home safe. I feed him quality food, I keep him up on his vaccinations and vet visits, and I spend time TRAINING him. At the sound of his collar beeping (15 ft from an actual shock, just fyi) he returns calmly safe and sound to the safety of the wireless containment system. I also have 2 over lapping zones set up for him so he can have a bigger run.

Might as well turn this into a debate forum at this point. Maybe that is your overall goal here...

Misplaced_Canuck said:
Agreed, that's why I didn't 'bite'. :D

MC

Just have to say, my wife gets all excited every time I tell her there are new photos of barely and blue in this thread. Keep em coming!

Twice now in the last week or two this thread has turned from "aw cute dawgy pictures" to "hey I am a better dog owner than you. Let's argue".

My last dog that passed away, would catch possums then shake them in his mouth and throw them over the fence into the yard next door. I always had a mental picture of the next door mom and kids having a tea party and a pissed off possum falls from the sky. Those neighbors don't wave back at me.

Another trick my friend's big dog would do was similar to that. My friend had a sliding door to the back yard in his bedroom, so in the summer he'd just leave it open so the dog could come and go as he pleased. Problem is that the big guy loved to catch squirrels and play with 'em until they didn't play anymore. Well, if he caught one in the wee hours of the morning, he'd bring the corpse in and leave it on my buddy's pillow as a gift for him. He'd wake up nose to nose with a disemboweled squirrel and this huge dog bouncing around like "PLAY WITH IT DAD!!! IT'S FUN!!! COME ON!!!"

Another thing my last dog did was when people would taunt him he would fake how high he could jump up the fence; so as I'm told, the third time my brother in law stuck his hand out the dog bit the crap out of him. Serves him wright for taunting my dog.

KB givin' the sexylook.
702636_10151401040054254_1451044821_n.jpg

LMAO at some of these stories. This one really got me going.

My dog is the same. He likes to go outside where he's usually not allowed, so he'll look at me like, "Can I come, too?!?" when I open the side or front door. I let him sometimes and he doesn't really go anywhere, returns if I say "come", etc. But if a cat or squirrel catches his eye it's over. He ran after a cat once, cat didn't stand a chance to outrun him, stepped on the damned thing, freaked me out cause I'm thinking he's going to accidentally break a cat's spine one day "playing" with it, then I'll have pissed-off cat-owners and have to pay money, city involvement, etc. So I don't like having him outside the fence very often.

For the most part he just wants to be where you are, maybe do some sniffing nearby. Heck, I used to walk him without the leash, but the few times he ran after something worried me that the sheer momentum of a 70lb. dog going 30MPH hot after some varmint might take out a small child and land him/her on their noggin...Maybe I worry too much...?

Who brushes their dogs teeth? I've got an electric brush that I use. My dog kinda likes it. How's that for lame.

We used to, but now we use CET chews. He gets one after dinner every night. We've used them for years and the vet says his teeth are perfect.

I've thought about it, pawn. We have a few extra electrics we don't use any more.

I might have to look into the CET chews. Trooper's teeth have some plaque around the gums.

Another trick my friend's big dog would do was similar to that. My friend had a sliding door to the back yard in his bedroom, so in the summer he'd just leave it open so the dog could come and go as he pleased. Problem is that the big guy loved to catch squirrels and play with 'em until they didn't play anymore. Well, if he caught one in the wee hours of the morning, he'd bring the corpse in and leave it on my buddy's pillow as a gift for him. He'd wake up nose to nose with a disemboweled squirrel and this huge dog bouncing around like "PLAY WITH IT DAD!!! IT'S FUN!!! COME ON!!!"

Had another out-loud chuckle reading this and imagining it happened to me. Dogs are the best, in that they can be the worst, sometimes.

My Dobermutt just liked to hear the squirrels bones crunch, the she spit them on the floor so they could wiggle around some more. She always had the "Look what I gived to you daaaaad" look when she did it too. How do you get mad at that?
Bob

ChshreCat said:
We used to, but now we use CET chews. He gets one after dinner every night. We've used them for years and the vet says his teeth are perfect.

I have my girl on the raw diet. She has nice white teeth and never has nasty dog breath or smells anymore

image-3678975309.jpg

I also have noticed that my GSD still has clean and pleasant puppy breath with the Blue Buffalo Adult dog large breed formula too. Definitely much better than other commercial foods available at the grocery. We feed her BB and make sure she has plenty of large shank bones to gnaw, and plush toys to clean between her teeth after meal times every day. Keeps her teeth nice and white with no unpleasant dog breath at all, and very little or no plaque or tartar on any of her teeth..

Wheelchair Bob

Back