Planning a build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
So after searching my basement I found this outlet, just wanted to make sure before i plan that this is what i need picture is attached

2013-02-23_18-25-25_878.jpg

That looks like a NEMA 10-50 receptacle, which I would expect to have two hots and a neutral at 240v. If that is the case, you don't have a true ground, and ideally should figure out how to get one. You can run a new line with H-H-N-G from the main panel, run a separate ground from the main panel, or use the controversial 3 in - 4 out spa panel.

Before you do anything, you should verify that you have 6awg wiring for the 50a circuit, that it really is H-H-N, and that it is on a 50a breaker on your main panel.

Yeah i just checked my box (sorry we just got the place) and I am gonna to assume its actually a 30a I could be wrong, I just want to know what i am working with for a starting point. I attached a pic

2013-02-23_20-28-55_532.jpg

I am in the same situation, I have a NEMA 10-50 on a 50A breaker.
Is it possible to use another ground on a different circuit wiring it all in together?

Back