Ahtanum Hops - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I've read through the older threads and am just curious if anyone has further thoutghts on this hop now that its been out there a while. I know Stone uses it in their pale ale... I need to round one up. In the mean time, what are people's thoughts on flavor and aroma?

Less grapefruit than Cascade but otherwise very similar. I started using it as a replacement for Cascade in my House IPA and stuck with it because it gives a mellower, more balanced flavor that more people can get on board with.

PtreeCreekBrew said:
Less grapefruit than Cascade but otherwise very similar. I started using it as a replacement for Cascade in my House IPA and stuck with it because it gives a mellower, more balanced flavor that more people can get on board with.

Me too!

I used them as a dry hop in a rye pa last spring. They're long gone but I remember it having kind of a light juicy floral thing going on. Would recommend.

Orange zest, mild grapefruit, earthy musk, and some herbal & floral traits.

Anyone use it in anything other than a pale or IPA?

You could use it for a light lager or possibly an american brown, maybe sub it into Janet's Brown instead of cascade.

Pretty interested in this as well, as i have an upcoming ipa planned using them. Any thoughts on an ahtanum/horizon combo?

I used three ounces with ten pounds of Optic malt in a SMaSH recently. I also used it by itself in an early attempt at a cream ale. The SMaSH can be likened to a blonde and the cream ale closer to a light pale ale. Anyway, Both beers were a hit and the flavor is very mellow and smooth. I say bobbrews has it pretty much nailed. I did notice a more fresh citrus aroma with the cream ale though.

Orange zest, mild grapefruit, earthy musk, and some herbal & floral traits.

That nails it. Had my first glass of an amber dry hopped with citra and ahtanum. Instantly reminded me of drinking stone pale ale. Musk and herbal with orange. People say its similar to cascade but I think it's way more herbal. I like it, but its a pretty dominant flavor. I wonder how it would go in a belgian (I do quite a few).

Back