I love making beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh286

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm on vacation for a while and decided to brew a Hefeweizen for a buddy's wedding tonight. For sure indulged in some homebrew while brewing. Well I wasn't sure things were going to go well because I miscalculated my mash volume and ended up with too much water for my grain...:confused:. Anyway figured that crap out and ended up with a pre-boil SG of 1.052 :). Was a little higher than I expected. No big deal. Anyway, I end up talking to my neighbor during the boil and find out that her husband is interested in homebrew and was about to start making wine. :cool:. So beer has found me friends... Anyways, after boil ended up with 1.063 so should be a pretty strong Hefe. Sounds good to me. /End drunken rant.

jmh286 said:
So I'm on vacation for a while and decided to brew a Hefeweizen for a buddy's wedding tonight. For sure indulged in some homebrew while brewing. Well I wasn't sure things were going to go well because I miscalculated my mash volume and ended up with too much water for my grain...:confused:. Anyway figured that crap out and ended up with a pre-boil SG of 1.052 :). Was a little higher than I expected. No big deal. Anyway, I end up talking to my neighbor during the boil and find out that her husband is interested in homebrew and was about to start making wine. :cool:. So beer has found me friends... Anyways, after boil ended up with 1.063 so should be a pretty strong Hefe. Sounds good to me. /End drunken rant.

Yeah this same damn thing had been happening to me. My last red rye ipa was suppose to be only 1.060 but I hit 1.085. Not sure what's going on or if this is even a bad thing.

Yeah this same damn thing had been happening to me. My last red rye ipa was suppose to be only 1.060 but I hit 1.085. Not sure what's going on or if this is even a bad thing.

As long as it doesn't finish super low, we are going to run into the same problem, a delicious beer with a higher than expected ABV. Nothing wrong with that IMO :mug:

If you're brewing it today, no way it'll be ready fo a wedding tonight:eek:

Did you all have your wort warmer than 70F? Doesn't that cause the gravity to be a bit high? I've measured at 75-78F and it always seems to read higher with the increase in temps.

lol This happened to me too when I did my hefe. It was supposed to be .050 and I ended up at .058. I am not complaining. I just hope it still tastes good. I tasted a hydro sample after a week and characteristics were there, but still really sweet. See when I take my next sample.

Did you all have your wort warmer than 70F? Doesn't that cause the gravity to be a bit high? I've measured at 75-78F and it always seems to read higher with the increase in temps.

There is a table for temperature correction. Temp increases will actually cause your gravity to read lower than what it actually is.

Back