Best Extract Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered two from Midwest so far. Haven't actually been able to drink them yet though so I can't vouch for quality. I like how they come with pretty much everything you will need; muslin bag, yeast packet, priming sugar. However, I was disappointed in the grain crush on my last order (Cologne Kolsh). I had to re-crush with a rolling pin before the boil.

I've made the Liberty Cream Ale, the Hank's Hefe and the Irish Red. Ive made the last two on multiple occasions.

The Cream Ale was good, but the hefe and the Irish Red are the most popular with my family and friends.

Midwest kits are solid. A lot of them have steeping grains, which is a nice thing to practice... fun too :)

William's has good kits too... and I like their extracts better. I'm interested to try Austin kits.

So far, I've enjoyed my Midwest kits. Seem to be pretty high quality ingredients (from my noob opinion)

I don't believe so... the beer kits are just ingredients. Their "starter kits" that include a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket and all the *equipment* to brew - that includes caps.

I added about 10 of their kits to a wish list. I think the next 2 are going to be a pumpkin ale and the cream ale.

brewers best has some good kits. I just did some amber ale. came out nice. Bottle caps and priming sugar is included in the kit

Everything I've gotten from northern brewer has been good. Dead ringer (bells 2 hearted clone) was the best. Irish dry stout, honey kolsch and chinook ipa are great as well. I did the chocolate covered beavr nuts from Midwest, but that's a partial mash. Not too much more complicated than extract with grains, and is a good step to take when you're ready to advance your skills. You mash in your brew kettle, so no extra equipment needed. A good sturdy 10" double mesh strainer would be good to have, but that's it. My beavr nuts are still aging, but so far so good.

BansheeRider said:
^ this...My next kit will be coming from them. I am almost sick of paying $12 for shipping with MidWest Supplies.

I wish shipping could be done so cheap in Canada. $12 is about what it costs to move a bottle of StarSan into the next area code. Our postal system is commuting suicide.

Back