I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightrider069

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am having efficiency problems I get my mash last running gravity and my post boil gravity spot on but I am missing my fg by .005 give or take a few on the last few brews I need some advice on how to fix this :confused::smack::smack:

.005 isn't really that bad actually. what types of beers are you making? Hops and trub can mess with efficiency

the first one was a coffee stout and the second was an ipa the ipa called for 1.061 I got 1.053 what am I doing not to get closer

well like i said, hops can absorb wort and that may be your problem. you using whole cone? They can absorb even more. You could try overshooting your OG on purpose. I usually do this on bigger beers with more hops.

well I use pellet hops so I guess I need to adjust my boil time because I don't know how to over shoot I am new to this and that is my third batch the IPA I mean

I mean overshoot the OG as in add in more ingredients to bring it up since you appear to be undershooting, not decrease boil time. I rarely hit my desired OG. You could make a spreadsheet to track everything which would include you OG, hops used, trub left over in kellte, boil volume, etc, and then see what trends are forming from that.

When a recipe states a target for all grain it is different from extract. Equipment can be different, water can be different, and especially the grind of the grain can be different. There are many factors which influence efficiency. What is most important is to be consistent. It may be that you just need to use some more base malt based on your set up, grind, etc.

Also, your post is a bit confusing. you say you are missing your FG but the numbers you posted, 1.061 and 1.053 are post boil/pre-fermentation gravities. Lower than expected post boil gravities are an indication of lower efficiency while lower FGs would be an issue with fermentation.

When a recipe states a target for all grain it is different from extract. Equipment can be different, water can be different, and especially the grind of the grain can be different. There are many factors which influence efficiency. What is most important is to be consistent. It may be that you just need to use some more base malt based on your set up, grind, etc.

Also, your post is a bit confusing. you say you are missing your FG but the numbers you posted, 1.061 and 1.053 are post boil/pre-fermentation gravities. Lower than expected post boil gravities are an indication of lower efficiency while lower FGs would be an issue with fermentation.

+1 on this. OG = Original Gravity of the wort you pitch yest into
FG = Final Gravity of the beer after the yeast has fermented it.

Efficiency is the measure of how much sugar did you actually extract from the grain compared to how much it is possible to extract. This calculation has so many variables and is dependent on your equipment and mash procedure and crush and on and on. Some brewers also calculate it at OG after boil but I calculate it pre boil so if I am short and I will know how short my OG will be and I have an opportunity to correct it.

Back