Short Home Brew Film

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty486

Reaction score
Hey all, This is my first post, but been a long time reader of HBT. Not sure where to post it, since it's a video, but figured the Photo forum would work best? Feel free to direct me in the correct location if I'm wrong.

Just looking to spread the homebrew cheer by sharing one of my "short films" I made of a recent brew day. You'll get to see into the workflow of our All Grain brew day. Comments and critiques encouraged, both on the film and brewing itself! And any questions I'll try my best to answer!

Thanks for watching. :mug:

[ame]http://youtu.be/byFLpCNw_D4?hd=1[/ame]

Music: Heinali - Fade

Just like watching the sun rise! Good job man. The music makes it seem like an epic birth; which it is! Well done.

Looks good. If you're in the Boston area, you may want to come to a Worts meeting (if you haven't already). Also a few things i noticed, you don't need a fermometer on the outside of your cooler mash tun, won't read the temperature of the wort through the cooler wall. Also, you probably don't need to sanitize your mashtun, and you should swirl your starter before you pitch to get all those chunks back into suspension.

Cool video, well shot. I liked the music at first, but it doesn't build to a conclusion or anything it just stays about the same and didn't really match the action. I still liked the video, keep doing it!

Wow, could have sworn I wrote a response and posted, sorry for making you all wait!

I think I'll be making the part two, as we go to keg with this brew this coming Sunday. BUT! I won't release the footage till it's carb'd and ready to pour, as that has to be my finishing shot, obviously!

I agree Anchor, the music was a tough choice, as I try not to break copyright laws when I select music, and that only gives me so many songs, in the style I want, that follow the correct attribution in creative commons for me to use for free. That song was 9 minutes long about, and didn't have any dramatic buildups to help edge a climax, I'll be looking for a more climatic song for part two!

Thank you everyone else for the tips and pointers, That shot of the mashtun was actually us preheating it to stop a big temp drop when mashing in, but I do sanitize it, just because I like to be extra clean I guess.

Keep the comments coming, love help bettering both my filmmaking and my brewing!

Very cool video. The sound editing was great. What editor do you use?

BTW, Boo boo boo. I think after all that you need to show the product at the end. A glistening glass of homebrew would have been the happy ending we all look for in this hobby. I'll let it slide this time, but no more cliffhangers, ok?

like a come down at sun up on the beach.
Without a doubt THE most relaxing hbvid ever. I didnt care what it was you were brewing even. A pleasure to watch lads!
What was the sound track?

Very nice video work. I'm sitting there listening before I got to looking at it and I'm expecting the opening shot to be you guys handing out food at a soup kitchen or doing rescue work after a natural disaster. Making beer is no less a noble cause! :tank:

0:15 – Would have been nice to see a “directed by” credit here.
0:20 – Violently stirring the DME into the water. Nice. Jarring. Takes the audience out of their comfort zone right out of the box. And then fade to black, leaving them with many unanswered questions. Like, “what the hell did I just watch?”
0:31 – Oh God, he’s pouring boiling hot wort right into his carboy?! Oh, wait. It’s only a starter. Whew.
0:46 – Vigorously rattling the yeast vial: good use of foreshadowing.
0:57 – Watching the vortex spin gives the viewer a chance to reflect on how our universe is like that. That’s deep. We are so small, and yet still connected.
1:07 – I think you were a little heavy-handed here. You could have just showed the viewers the grain IN the bucket instead of showing them the words “grain bucket.” But this added tension, so it was still pretty good. “Oh God – it’s a bucket full of grain! What’s going to happen next?! I CAN’T WATCH!”
1:23 – Nice time-lapse work here, showing how annoying it is to go up and down the basement stairs to get all of your equipment. This really helps capture the essence of Brew Day.
1:34 – And then we see the equipment all lined up, from a low angle, to make the equipment look monolithic and overpowering. Almost majestic in their shared goal: to make beer. Beautiful.
1:40-2:18 – This was a touching homage to the unsung hero of Brew Day: water. Without water, Brew Day would be pretty meaningless. And it would be really hard to clean things.
2:20 – DANGER KEEP OUT OF REACH OF C…something. Children? Cousins? Cichlids? Chinchillas? I’m going to go with chinchillas. There’s no telling what havoc chinchillas could wreak with undiluted Star San.
2:46 – I’m going to assume that this was fast-motion work, because if not, then that was some of the most vigorous mash paddling I have ever seen. You probably wouldn’t even need to heat the strike water due to the excessive friction heat caused by that. Which would be pretty neat.
3:06 – Vorlaufing in near-complete darkness. And the once clear water is now dark wort. Symbolizing that the vorlauf stage of Brew Day is the darkest part of the night before the dawn. “Did we mess up the mash? Are we going to hit our efficiency? Is this going to be a terrible batch of beer?” So many self-doubts fill us during the vorlauf. It’s a good time to drink a beer.
3:32 – The fly sparge shot shows us the inevitability of the hot liquor becoming sweet wort. Our little babies are growing up before our very eyes.
3:53 – 7.3 gallons of boiling wort. Numbers mean a lot in films like this. I have no idea what it references in this instance, but I’m sure it references something.
4:11 – From the kettle, through the chiller, to the fermenting bucket. Our once-virginal water makes its journey towards becoming BEER. So many water molecules will never have the chance to be in beer. Such a shame.
4:22 – You forgot about the stir bar, didn’t you. Don’t lie. You did.
4:30 – And then we come to the biggest plot hole in the whole film: the airlock. He is shown standing there, on top of the now impregnated wort, waiting for his chance to bubble. But does he? DOES HE?! NO!
4:36 – Instead, we see a big bucket of sudsy stuff bubbling instead. WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED TO AIRLOCK?
5:04 – A claim stating that “billions of yeast were harmed in the making of this film” would have been the responsible thing to say.

Yes, we need to see a part two.

Thanks everyone! Some great feedback and posts! I think we decided Monday we're moving to keg, so I'll do some filming there (although I forgot my camera when we moved to secondary, whoops!) and then when it's carbed and ready to pour I'll get the final shot, the best part, pouring the beer from our keezer!

And Lando, that was the greatest recap of a film I've done, EVER! Thanks, love it!

Also, I'll post the music on the first post for everyone to see!

Great vid mate. Much more Vimeo than YouTube ( if you know what I mean).

Looking forward to he concluding part.

Thanks everyone! Hope you had a happy holidays! The beer is delicious too! I'll be grabbing my last shot maybe this week and I'll see what I can do.

I just ordered a new lens, so I'll be making a new video on my next brew day with it, and hopefully it'll feel like a whole different style of video, wouldn't want you all watching the same video twice now!

I want to brew now! To take to video to the next you should tell us what beer your brewing and to see the process from start to finish. Brew, Ferm, Bottle/Keg, then the epic pour of the brew we just watched that to me would make the video perfect.

Hey guys, just wanted to get two things out there to you.

First, help me get this to 1,000+ views. Please watch and give it a thumbs up! Share it with your family friends, even strangers. Post it to your twitter and facebook!

Second, a quick update. I finished filming a new brew that will, hopefully, have a completely different feel to it than this short did. I'm hoping to cut it down about a minute, maybe two if I'm lucky (but don't see how I can fit a whole brew, start to finish in 3-4 minutes). It's shot on a newer, and much nicer lens as well. Currently I will be moving at the end of the month, so I am holding off on editing until I am settled at my new place. But I'll keep you all updated on the progress!

Video is on the front page, and I'll add a link here for everyone who won't want to go to the front page to watch!

Thanks again everyone, keep brewing!
Cheers!

[ame="http://youtu.be/byFLpCNw_D4"]http://youtu.be/byFLpCNw_D4[/ame]

Back