What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesleyS said:
You're not the first one I've heard that from. There's lots of overly hyped beer out there and that's one of them. Still would like to try it though.
It can be had. It is definitely worth trying. I'll let you know next time I go down there and we can probably arrange a lil swap
NordeastBrewer77 said:
Whatever makes ya feel better about yourself, buddy. :D :mug:

At least you're honest about your alcoholism ;)

bottlebomber said:
It can be had. It is definitely worth trying. I'll let you know next time I go down there and we can probably arrange a lil swap

Awesome, definitely up for that.

More

ForumRunner_20121111_222438.png

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Alcoholics go to meetings, we Irish go to the pub. :tank:

And yes, Bottle, we're sharing.... 25 oz = 2 drunks gettin' a great beer. :mug:

P.S. I think someone got a semi from the Brown Shugga'.

Lol, it's a great beer. I'm just having some fun and keeping it going from last night. This doesn't happens often. Waking up buzzed and drinking some beers throughout the night. What a waste, but I had, nothing to do today. Sucks I have to work tomorrow.

I'm at a tasting so the flight is a saison noel, bourboun infused oaked black ipa, dubbel, brett farmhouse, and a Belgian ipa. Very good beers I was impressed with all of them.

Getting ready to have a few Shiner Blondes. Looks like the only decent place to get beer in this little town is up for sale. I hope it goes to a beer nerd so this town finally gets some good beer. Thank god it's just the town I lay over at while I'm working.

Did some restocking of my depleted IPA reserves. Couple bitters too.

@weirdboy, I asked the shop about re stocking the Hepworth Pullman that I told you about, they said maybe, it comes from a really small distributor about an hour away. If I can source it again, I'll gladly send you a bottle. One of the best.
HPIM1388.jpg

Loving this bad boy, surprisingly good IPA from the western suburbs!
HPIM1389.jpg

cherry smash

• 1.5oz cognac
  • 3/4oz lemon juice
  • 3/4oz orange curocao
  • 1/2oz cherry heering

muddle 4 brandied cherries in cocktail shaker. add everything, shake with ice, double-strain to cocktail glass.

I was up til about 3 this morning and woke up about 830, through no choice of my own. I took about a two hour nap this afternoon, so it's going to be another long night. Getting started with this and then I've got a bunch of home brew in the fridge: Belgian Pale Ale (last one), Oatmeal Stout, Banana Split Stout and Badfish IIPA.

Rodenbach is my "I'm an old grumpy bastard beer." I can't so much as see a bottle without attempting to force anyone within earshot to listen to me ramble about what a great beer it used to be before Palm switched the effing yeast.

WesleyS said:
There are no words! Anything I could say to describe this beer would be an understatement.

I haven't seen that one available to me, but I'm real excited to try it. Those guys are amazing.

Drinking my pliny clone, its soo damn tasty!! I dryhopped the second addition in the keg, and needs a day or more to get that simcoe smell...
Igotsand

Recently went down to Michigan for an afternoon to take my SWMBO birthday shopping and only had time to jump into a Meijers to grab a couple of beers. Since when did New Belgium begin to sell in quantities that would supply a national grocery chain?

Fat Tire, Ranger, 1554, Snow Day, Trippel, etc. etc. They were all there!

I'm not complaining. I'm drinking enjoying a Fat Tire that I would not otherwise get here in Canada.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Definitely one of my faves, really good beer. SkeezerPleezer has a wicked clone of it in the recipe forums, may actually be a tad better than the real deal. Anyway ya go, it's hard to beat FW brews.

I don't usually follow recipes, but I will check that one out. It might be my next brew.

bottlebomber said:
I haven't seen that one available to me, but I'm real excited to try it. Those guys are amazing.

My parents live in Chicago and I had my mom bring me that one and the Reserve Porter last time they visited. Having out of state parents that visit often comes in handy.

jwalk4 said:
Since when did New Belgium begin to sell in quantities that would supply a national grocery chain?

Fat Tire, Ranger, 1554, Snow Day, Trippel, etc. etc. They were all there!

I've seen New Belgium in plentiful quantities at a lot of Safeway, Albertsons, Kroger, and Fred Meyer stores for years. That was both in WA and in TX. I'm sure they've increased their ability to ship more of a variety to more places- it used to be just mostly Fat Tire, 1554 and maybe Tripel.

It's a pity I'm not more of a fan cause I see them everywhere.

Ok cracked this Wrangler IPA that someone sent me. Never heard of it before. It's...ok. The bitterness level is a bit higher than I'd like in terms of balance, and it has some citrusy hops aroma but it is rather muted compared to many other offerings out there.

image-194339051.jpg

Hmm well I looked it up on BeerAdvocate and apparently this is a Belgian IPA. That totally makes sense...some of the phenolics that I had originally attributed to some kind of "interesting" hops addition (e.g. Saaz or Sterling) are actually due to the yeast.

I guess I'm still in the "ok" camp, although I really have a hard time judging this particular style as it's not really a favorite of mine. I do like Houblon Chouffe, though. This one is quite bitter...not really in balance with the malt IMO.

Brown Shugga from Lagunitas.
This is a deceptively strong beer, but once it warms up, it is sweet, with a hot alcohol bite.

Ok cracked this Wrangler IPA that someone sent me. Never heard of it before. It's...ok. The bitterness level is a bit higher than I'd like in terms of balance, and it has some citrusy hops aroma but it is rather muted compared to many other offerings out there.

Sound's pretty interesting, where's it from?

HPIM1392.jpg

Peachy, and tasty. :mug:

Sound's pretty interesting, where's it from?

The bottle says Peace Tree Brewing in Iowa.

You know...Widmer has had some pretty good beers in their Rotator series. It's been a while now since I've had one, but I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've had previously...I think they do 4 a year? Anyway, it's nice to see them brewing more experimental stuff.

Drinking some Knob Creek tonight, just got done brewing a Dogfish Indian Brown ale clone! Just waiting for the magic to happen.

The bottle says Peace Tree Brewing in Iowa.

You know...Widmer has had some pretty good beers in their Rotator series. It's been a while now since I've had one, but I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've had previously...I think they do 4 a year? Anyway, it's nice to see them brewing more experimental stuff.

Iowa-y, huh? I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm down that way. And yeah, the Rotator's have been good. I really liked the Nelson, this Falconer's is going down really well. I've been impressed with some of Widmer's non regulars. The Galaxy Barleywine is really good, I love Barrel Aged Brrrbon, even the regular Brrr is really good.

I think it might be more than four, but I've never bothered to make a study of it. There are currently five IPAs in the series, thought: Falconer's, O'Ryely, Shaddock, Spiced, X-114. X-114 and Shaddock seem to be available in my area, at least right now.

I was up in Portland last night and filled The Growler at Deschutes. Fresh Hopped Porter, which is being imbibed with no small amount of haste and glee!

And on Thursday, The Abyss makes a return.

That means The Abyss, Black Butte XXIV, and The Dissident will all be available, all at once. It's like... beervana. Oh wait, that's Oregon in general :)

A pint of my wheat IPA. Carbonation has finally balanced out. On this batch, I threw an extra 2oz each of Citra and Nelson Sauvin into the keg (after dry hopping) and it has really boosted the aromatics and hop flavor. Very satisfying to drink.

I will say that I think the bitterness is a bit high on this one, too, but it is not nearly as harsh and lingering as in the wrangler. Maybe they use something with a high cohumulone.

image-4174765879.jpg

Batch differentiation is a fun thing to watch in smaller breweries.
Batch 400 was very confusing, there was no harsh chocolate, or big roastiness in the flavor, but only in the aroma, it drank like a smooth pilsner, with a wheat beer creaminess. This one in batch 411 has a big bitter chocolate flavor, similar to the aroma, and very much different than before.

ForumRunner_20121112_205024.png

Back