Home Brewing - What should I start with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintball7472

Reaction score
I have just completed a video with my team about a craft beer maker in Long Island called "Port Jeff." They made the most delicious beer, in such a cozy environment. After making the video, and talking extensively with the owner, I've also become interested in the beer making process.

I have my own home brewing kit now, though I wanted to ask you guys what type of beer that you thought I should start with?

If your interested in the video you can check it out here:

(I hope you like it!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Start with a kit or recipe that's most like the styles of beer you enjoy the most. There are many good kits out there,& plenty of recipes in the recipe section on here. Check it out,then decide.

I generally recommend something medium-gravity (1.050 to 1.065), and usually something like a pale ale / IPA or a porter/stout (whichever you prefer). The first batch will likely have a few mistakes [usually minor], so using a recipe that has a decent amount of hops or roasted grain can help to cover a few of those and ensure your first beer is enjoyable.

BTW my three rules for good beer:

1) Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation!
2) Pitch enough yeast (either dry yeast [2 packs for anything over 1.060] or a make a starter if you're using liquid).
3) Watch the temps! (try to pitch yeast into wort that's already in the 60's, and try to maintain fermentation temps in the 60's)

You can screw up a lot of process steps and still end up with a nicely drinkable beer if you do the above IMHO.

i would NOT start with a stout, porter, scotch ale or other malt-heavy style. these styles taste weird until they age properly and it can be frustrating when you're starting to wait 8-10 weeks.

IPA is probably the best place to start if you like that style. if not, maybe an amber or a blonde if you want something lighter.

I didnt get to watch the video yet, but did you get to meet with Mike Philbrick at Port Jeff?

Years ago my band used to open for his band when he was in the PA area.. Real cool guy. Talented musician and brewer!

I'd recommend avoiding a lager and light bodied/hopped ales until you have your fermentation temperatures and pitching rates down.

For your first beer I would look to a pale ale, irish ale, or porter/stout. Those are styles that are relatively easier to brew and will help cover up mistakes. Also, if you're brewing in the summer you'll need some form of temperature control otherwise your beer will likely have a lot off flavors.

i would NOT start with a stout, porter, scotch ale or other malt-heavy style. these styles taste weird until they age properly and it can be frustrating when you're starting to wait 8-10 weeks.

IPA is probably the best place to start if you like that style. if not, maybe an amber or a blonde if you want something lighter.

I disagree. I'm a brand-new brewer. My very first brew was a Northern Brewer Dry Irish Stout Kit. Super easy to make. I just popped the first one open and it tasted fantastic already.

Brew what you like to drink. With the quality of the kits that are available, I don't think you can go wrong with any style if you get a kit from a reputable company... with the possible exception of lagers, which require very specific and hard to achieve temperature control.

I disagree. I'm a brand-new brewer. My very first brew was a Northern Brewer Dry Irish Stout Kit. Super easy to make. I just popped the first one open and it tasted fantastic already.

Brew what you like to drink. With the quality of the kits that are available, I don't think you can go wrong with any style if you get a kit from a reputable company... with the possible exception of lagers, which require very specific and hard to achieve temperature control.
What was your aging time? Is there any 'bite' to the stout? Did you use the S-04 or the liquid yeast?

I used a brown ale that came with my kit. Not my favorite style so I'm not drinking it that much, so for my 2 ND beer I made my favorite, RIS. Go with what you enjoy first no matter what style, extract is easy, even if you have to sparge specialty grains.

My first kit was an extract kit from Brewer's Best and was a Milk Stout, it came out really good. I have my second brew another Brewer's Best but this time a Summer Ale in the secondary. I don't have much in the way of temp control except for the air conditioning in my house...which stays around 75. I taste tested it before I put it in the secondary and it seems more than fine to me. I think the key is to make what you like, take your time and prepare, and most importantly...relax and just go for it. Unless you have a terrible contamination or something the beer will be drinkable.

I would also highly recommend an Amber. Those are one of my favorite styles and seems to be a favorable style with a majority of people. It's forgiving to new brewers too.

What was your aging time? Is there any 'bite' to the stout? Did you use the S-04 or the liquid yeast?

I aged it three weeks in the primary, and another three in bottles. Just opened the first last weekend, and it was smooth as silk. It may get even better over time, but it was already pretty good - no bite at all. It's a pretty low ABV beer, about 4.6%.

I used White Labs Irish Ale yeast that I bought locally.

Great video paintball7472, I will visit their website. I think you should go with what you like. I for some reason like Pale Ale's, Wheat's, Porters, IPA's. But as I keep learning I am expanding my tastes. My first brew was a Blonde Ale, it came out great, and I was hooked. I didn't find HBT until I was 6 months in, it's a great resource when your starting out. The sticky's are a great way to learn everything from terminology, to pro/cons. Your going to love making your own beer. :mug:

I would go with a simple amber or brown ale kit. I also suggest getting the kit about a week before brew day and reading the instructions at least once daily before brewing. Save the brew day beers for after the fermenter is loaded and closed.

I brewed Northern Brewer's American Wheat extract kit as my second batch and it was so easy! I started just before 9 on a weeknight and was finished and cleaned up by 11pm. I let it go 2 weeks in primary, a month in bottles, and was great! Granted, I started having a bottle here and there after 2 weeks but it peaked around 1 month in the bottle. Bottling your first beer is like sending your child to kindergarten, without the burping of the fermenter you'll get lonely and start thinking about making another one. Be ready for that.

Back