Help an ipod newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey so I just got an ipod last week or so...

I've got a question: if I put music on it from one computer can I put it onto another computer? As in taking it off from my ipod?

My boss has like 40gigs of music on his comp at work so I loaded up all the ZZ Top and George Thorogood onto my ipod with the intent of putting it on my computer at home. When I got there I couldn't figure out a way to take it off. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Cool thanks!

So ephpod will work the same as itunes? I don't need both do I? I'm not one to pay $0.99 for a song so...I don't use that option.

greenhornet said:
Cool thanks!

So ephpod will work the same as itunes? I don't need both do I? I'm not one to pay $0.99 for a song so...I don't use that option.

I still think you need iTunes or some viable substitute like the new winamp (others can help you there...I still use iTunes and have no problem with it).

Windoz free and eazy:
-attach ipod, quit itunes
-browse to ipod in my computer/control/music/copy these folders to your compy (need to display hidden folders in explorer)
-highlight all copied folder on your compy, right click and change properties so they aren't hidden
-itunes, add folders with the option to let itunes manage your music and it will put stuff in your library w/ names and all

You can find this info online in more detail....

Winamp can also pull music off your ipod

...of course, assuming you own all this music and all that :)

greenhornet said:
Hey so I just got an ipod last week or so...

I've got a question: if I put music on it from one computer can I put it onto another computer? As in taking it off from my ipod?
Apple would prefer you didn't, so iTunes is an intentionally crippled app.

On a PC (and probably on a mac too) there are many other options available. The previously mentioned ephpod will do the trick, and Winamp is a great choice for a feature rich media management system.

Another option when you are copying music from someone else's computer is to just treat your iPod as an external HD. That's what I used to do. Just create a folder in the root directory and copy over all of the music you want. You won't be able to play it on your iPod like this, but you'll also be able to remove it intact.

Latest posts

Back