3 tap mini keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Here is my weekends work on the keezer. I plan to mount of three taps in the 2x6 on the front.

The collar/lid is 11.75" tall. I do not plan to use the original lid at all.

Will the existing hinges hold up this new massive lid?

ForumRunner_20120318_204350.jpg

ForumRunner_20120318_204357.jpg

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

You should be good, on my keezer I got 7 taps and my lid is made out of oak with glass tiles. The original hinges have held up great for the last 3 years.

Progress today. Taps installed, lid on, gas in the process of being hooked up.

I just realized the check valve on the input of the gas distribution is probably backward.
They only work on the output side, right?

mail.google.com(5).jpeg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

what would you estimate you have in this cost wise? i am looking at a 3 tap kegerator online.

kickrjason said:
what would you estimate you have in this cost wise?

Not sure what you have already so here is a breakdown....

Chest freezer - free
Temp controller - Christmas present
3 chrome faucets, 3 stainless shanks, distributor - $205
Wood - $60
Tubing, connectors - $100
Used keg and regulator - $179
Two more used kegs - $100

I am just now working on my collar and saw your post.I had never considered eliminating the lid and just using the collar.As luck would have it I can still go this way with mine.Have you had any probems with this design?I have never seen anyone use it before and I think over the last 2 months I have looked at every keezer thread on the interweb.

I got the idea from a guy on YouTube that hinged the collar instead of just the lid.

My only caution would be to insulate the lid if you make it out of wood. I use two inches of foam in the lid. It seems good so far (we'll see in the summer when my garage gets to 100F).

My biggest fear was the weight... this lid is maybe 40lbs.

I built my collar with 1" styro sandwiched between 1/4" ply and at the moment only weighs about 10 lbs.Still need to add another layer of styro ,1/4 plyand the taps to the lid.Wt.shouldn't be a problem.

I finished a keezer with the same design and same approx size (5 cu ft) about a month ago- hinges on the collar topped with a piece of plywood instead of the original lid. Seemed like a good way to get the alignment correct. I used 1" foam board and caulked all the joints, doesn't cycle on and off anymore than the original lid. Posted the build under 5 cu ft keezer build- not sure how to post the link- good luck!

I have looked at every keezer thread on the interweb.

I did that too! Looking back in my "inspiration" folder I found this one.

This might have planted a seed for my build.
It came up in a Google Images search (maybe someone on HBT dunno.)

5702768687_52ae9e9a4f.jpg

Added a stainless drip tray.

I didn't want to screw into the side of the freezer so I added some knotty pine tongue-in-groove paneling. This made it look a little more "wild west saloon" than I wanted.

And, the wheels are new too. This really helps to move it around and pull it away from the wall when I need to open it. (it make s keg loading a little harder but still manageable)

Photos:

2012-05-05_09-14-25_582.jpg

2012-05-05_09-14-07_872.jpg

I'm looking to build one similar to yours, and as always space is an issue. I want to get 4 kegs in a 5ish CF freezer. what brand/model are you using and how many kegs could you fit if the with the C02 on the outside.

Imagineer said:
I'm looking to build one similar to yours, and as always space is an issue. I want to get 4 kegs in a 5ish CF freezer. what brand/model are you using and how many kegs could you fit if the with the C02 on the outside.

I could do 4 kegs with the CO2 on the outside.

This is a 1998 Fridgedaire.

Looks great!

One question--did you reinforce the wood on the collar at all where you screwed in the hinges (i.e. putting them through a metal plate)? I am in the middle of a build with a tiled lid (makes it pretty heavy) and am a little nervous that i'll have some issues with the hinge screws and the 1x6 collar.

I had no issues with the screws into the lid and the lid stays up (I was shocked since it weighs a ton).

I did have a problem with the Red Oak Boards on the outside warping. Maybe it was the moisture or just not letting the glue set long enough after I clamped it. This was easily remedied with a few well placed decking screws. I didn't want to do it. I wanted to have no visible screws but I didn't like the look of the gaps that were forming.

It's been fine for the last month.

Back