My Brew Stand and Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good man...

hope your ferm chamber is built... these temps are SUCKING right now!

these temps are SUCKING right now!

F'ing A right! Came home last night and my 2.5 gallon batch of RIS was in the 72-74 degree danger zone. Even in my swamp cooler. My fermentation chamber only holds 2 6.5 gallon carboys so I have to swamp cooler my half batches.

... these temps are SUCKING right now!

Seriously!! So glad these bad boys are are in their little fridge...:ban:

5910986860_a188425e51_z.jpg

looks good man...

hope your ferm chamber is built... these temps are SUCKING right now!

For what it's worth, I bought a mini fridge off CL... thank goodness! I don't have a temp controller built yet, but I've done well enough by putting the fridge on an automatic timer - like for your lights. Cycling it on for half an hour every hour and a half to two or three hours seems to do the trick this week.

For what it's worth, I bought a mini fridge off CL... thank goodness! I don't have a temp controller built yet, but I've done well enough by putting the fridge on an automatic timer - like for your lights. Cycling it on for half an hour every hour and a half to two or three hours seems to do the trick this week.
sweet!

i suggest the Ebay Temp Controller.. it was easy to build and fairly cheap to build for what it does. ( 2 stage temp control)

i got a chest freezer i use for my ferm.

Looks like a 6.5 gal carboy to me.

you might want to look into the thread about gross adjustments with the built in temp controller. have no idea how to post links here but its been a pretty popular thread lately. If you don't have an external temp controller you might be able to take the temp controller apart and adjust the set screw for the gross adjustemnt in order to get you to the temp zone you want. worth looking into anyway.

My chamber is indeed functioning, though I haven't got any brews fermenting at the moment, but I have bottles and kegs conditioning/aging in it at the moment. These temps have been fairly brutal this week :(

Mini Fridge Tear Down
2011-04-03%2012.23.43.jpg
2011-04-03%2013.09.34.jpg

2011-04-03%2013.09.50.jpg
2011-04-03%2013.13.40.jpg

Sanke Fermentor with Brewers Hardware Conversion Cap:
2011-03-15%2022.16.14.jpg

Hey brother looks good....I have a question:

Why go through all the trouble of cutting, demo'ing, fabricating etc instead of just gettting a chest freezer, rigging up a two stage controller and using it that way?

Seems like a boat load of work to me, but looks great.

@ILOVEBEER,

I'm going to guess it's for the flexibility. You can only do so much with a chest freezer, but making your own compartments allows for cold storage, cellar, and fermenting - potentially from one mini fridge.

ILOVEBEER, have you ever tried lifting 10 gal of beer in a Sanke keg 32+ inches vertically and setting it down gently into a chest freezer? If not, give it a shot and you'll answer your own question ;)

ILOVEBEER, have you ever tried lifting 10 gal of beer in a Sanke keg 32+ inches vertically and setting it down gently into a chest freezer? If not, give it a shot and you'll answer your own question ;)

Holly crap yes, I did that a couple times, nearly killed my self. I'm using my secondary kegereator now, but I bet you can use a larger mini fridge or a full size fridge too.

I also had the self-imposed requirement of need to fit TWO Sanke kegs at the same time...

The Fermentation Chamber:
and bought a computer power supply to run the fans to draw air over a heatsink bonded to the the cooling tray.
The Chamber Build

I'm planning on using a mini-fridge I have sitting around to build a custom-sized kegerator. Two questions:
1) What is the heat sink bonded to the cooling tray for and can you provide a bitter picture of what exactly that looks like?
2) Do you think mini-fridge components are powerful enough to cool this box down to 38F?

Thanks!

I'm planning on using a mini-fridge I have sitting around to build a custom-sized kegerator. Two questions:
1) What is the heat sink bonded to the cooling tray for and can you provide a bitter picture of what exactly that looks like?
2) Do you think mini-fridge components are powerful enough to cool this box down to 38F?

Thanks!

I never actually installed the heatsink, doesn't seem like it will need it. I am still planning to put the fans in at some point. I DO NOT, however, think this box would cool down to 38F effectively/efficiently. Haven't tried it, but it is a big space for that small of a cooler.

Gremlyn - Just curious to know how many brew days you've had on your weldless stand and how do you like it so far? I'm at the point that I want to build one, but not sure if I should just wait until I have the money to go weldless. Any suggestions?

Gremlyn, I'm planning on building one of these and I also use a coleman extreme as my MLT. Do you have any support for the extra length of the cooler or do you just center it?

Gremlyn, I'm planning on building one of these and I also use a coleman extreme as my MLT. Do you have any support for the extra length of the cooler or do you just center it?

I actually stopped putting the cooler on the stand, kind of wish I built the stand for two burners only. I have a separate workshop table I put the cooler on. I became afraid of melting the cooler with the middle burner on...

That said, the cooler does sit well just centred on the stand.

I've been looking at taking apart a mini fridge for a kegerator build. Were you able to keep the temperature control that came in the fridge intact?

I've been looking at taking apart a mini fridge for a kegerator build. Were you able to keep the temperature control that came in the fridge intact?

Hey I know you're asking the OP but I've been working on my build for several months and think i have enough experience to answer your question too. :)

In short, yes! I've been through three minifridges now. The first one I accidentally busted the freon line because it was rusted in a corner. The second just didn't turn on after i disassembled it. The only thing that I could tell went wrong was i broke the hollow tube that i assume is the temperature gauge because it wasn't very long and went directly to the temperature control box. I'm on my third now and it is working like a charm. The only problem is, it had separate cold plates for the fridge and freezer so the temperature controller is essentially useless to me since the freezer plate keeps, well, freezing. I don't know whether having a one plate system like my first two would change that. The temp in my keezer dropped down to 15 degrees F and still hadn't turned off. I bought a cheap temperature controller off of Amazon that should arrive shortly. It was $50 and you plug the minifridge into it and it has a temperature gauge so it controls when the fridge turns on and off based on your desired temperature gauge.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

soadtool said:
Hey I know you're asking the OP but I've been working on my build for several months and think i have enough experience to answer your question too. :)

In short, yes! I've been through three minifridges now. The first one I accidentally busted the freon line because it was rusted in a corner. The second just didn't turn on after i disassembled it. The only thing that I could tell went wrong was i broke the hollow tube that i assume is the temperature gauge because it wasn't very long and went directly to the temperature control box. I'm on my third now and it is working like a charm. The only problem is, it had separate cold plates for the fridge and freezer so the temperature controller is essentially useless to me since the freezer plate keeps, well, freezing. I don't know whether having a one plate system like my first two would change that. The temp in my keezer dropped down to 15 degrees F and still hadn't turned off. I bought a cheap temperature controller off of Amazon that should arrive shortly. It was $50 and you plug the minifridge into it and it has a temperature gauge so it controls when the fridge turns on and off based on your desired temperature gauge.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks, I haven't bought the fridge yet, but I am keeping my eye out for one. I was just worried that it may not be usable if that temperature controller was cut. I am planning on using a separately purchased controller for more precise temperatures.

Does anyone know of a guide for tearing apart a mini fridge and doing this? I have similar requirements to the OP that I want to fit 2 sanke's in there and maybe a carboy or two, but would love not to waste space and just build a box around a mini fridge.

In answer to keeping the fridge temp control: no, I did not keep it. I was able to disconnect it and the fridge worked fine, it would obviously just not shut off without it's temp controller. Not all fridges will be like this, I assume; some may not run unless a wire is jumpered on the connector where the original temp controller was. Just have to test and see. I use a Ranco to control the temp, as it is far more accurate and has finer control, etc.

-MG-, as for your question, I just stated cutting :) Well, first I took out all the screws and things hold stuff to the fridge body that I could find. Then I started cutting the top of it off, so that I could lift out the chilling plate. You have to have an old fridge with the coils on the back in order for this to work. Use a saws-all with a short blade and go slowly to make sure you don't hit a cooling line. There should only be one going in and one coming out, but they are probably together.

I actually tore apart a fridge with the coils located inside the sides. It was a PITA, but there was a tear in the metal skin that I just kept pulling on. I eventually got everything torn out and had a bunch of foam and sweat all over the place.

Anyone ever try using acetone around the coils? I know it melts foam, and I would think you would have a much lower risk of nicking a line. Obviously, this should be done out doors.

Did you wire the fridge right into your temp controller? If so, do you just not worry if it's on high/low (on mine its 1-7)? Looks like you left the internal thermostat behind.

Did you wire the fridge right into your temp controller? If so, do you just not worry if it's on high/low (on mine its 1-7)? Looks like you left the internal thermostat behind.

There is no high/low setting for the actual cooling system, the thermostat for the fridge works the same way as a Ranco, simply cuts the power at a preset temp. I just took out the stock thermostat, check to make sure it still ran, and called it good. The fridge plugs directly into the Ranco for temp control.

Back