On Ebay: 1852 ALLSOPP's ARCTIC ALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually read a cool article on drinking a beer from 1869. They said it was flat but the taste was extremely complex and malty. Bitterness was almost gone, but still there. THey were talking about all sorts of wierd tastes, but they wanted to lick the bottle clean.

Holy crap! half a million. It would be a waste to not drink that beer IMO. Its made to be drank. Id drink it and and have someone take pictures haha.

It sounds like the original Double IPA by the description.

I was listening to The Brewing Network's Sunday show and they were talking about drinking a bottle of 100+ year old beer. They said it tasted older but still drinkable and def. not 100 years old. I think it was Chris or Mike White from White Labs but not sure, it could have been one of the other guests. I think it was during the discussion about the Siebel Institute of Technology classes.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/dwnldarchive08-12-07.mp3

There's another bottle from a later bottling in 1875 up for auction with a minimum bid of only $2,000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320148850692

edit: The new listing has a "review" from 1889 that describes the beer thus: "The beer had a gravity of 1130 degrees with an alcohol content of around 11.25%." What scale is 1130 degrees?

dantodd said:
edit: The new listing has a "review" from 1889 that describes the beer thus: "The beer had a gravity of 1130 degrees with an alcohol content of around 11.25%." What scale is 1130 degrees?

Just guessing, but maybe specific gravity = 1.130? Then a FG of 1.045 would give you 11.25% ABV. Not an unreasonable FG given the brewing conditions back then, I'd guess, but I don't know when the specific gravity scale came into vogue.

Winning bid...$503,300 ???

Let's see, with kind of money, I could brew (assuming ten gallon AG batches) about...oh...1,845,433 bottles of EdWorts Haus Ale.

Not including the cost of propane. ;)

I was bidding on that original bottle, but dropped out at $400k...I wanted to make sure I could re-use the bottle, and wasn't sure my wing capper would be able to seal it.:tank:

Meanwhile, I'm sticking a 1-liter swingtop of my most recent barleywine in a temp-controlled safe, and writing up a story about how I brewed it for the first manned Mars expedition. I figure my great-great-great-great grandchildren can make about $25 bazillion dollars (oops, I mean yuan) with it in 2150.

Why does this thread show up on page 1 with the post above mine being 4 years old?

Edit:Cause Im stupid and didn't realize I was reading a thread I clicked on from another thread.

Back