Mash Temperatures for Sorghum Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njaxx

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been brewing beer for 20 years, mostly from whole grain malt. I have malted a lot of barley and wheat and LOVE beer. I just found out that I have a medical condition in which Gluten causes inflammation problems so....no more good old barley or wheat homebrew.

I am just getting ramped up to brew some sorghum (milo) based homebrew. I am going to malt some milo and use it to brew with if I cannot find any to purchase.

I would very much appreciate help with the following:

1. How long do you let the sprout get on sorghum grain during malting?

2. What are the mashing temperatures for sorghum malt?

3. How much sorghum malt per gallon of beer?

4. Can you buy sorghum malt anywhere?

Thank you very much!

Roger

Graham Sanders and Ian the Cellarman have recipes on their website. I also know they're in close contact with a gentleman that is a maltster of millet, sorghum, buckwheat, and something else. Shoot those two crazy Aussie's an email and I'm certain they'll be able to help you out. http://oz.craftbrewer.org/ I also listened to an episode of their podcast where they tasted a couple of different gluten-free beers that Celiac's can enjoy.

Thank you for you responses. I found the information I was looking for.

Best Regards,
Roger

Back