Citra APA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
Going to brew this on Sunday, its a new recipe I've been working on but haven't brewed yet. Going for a nice citrusy, hop-forward pale ale that is balanced by a solid malt character. Shooting for a fairly dry body to make this more drinkable in quantity, but not a watered down mouthfeel and overkilling the hops by drying it out too much. Any feedback before it goes live would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Citra APA
10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 77.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 171.4 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.5 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.07% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 36.4 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb American Vienna
.5 lb American Munich
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L

.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - added during whirlpool, boiled 0.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during whirlpool, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Citra (11.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale in 2000ml starter

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes
Mashout at 165 and double batch sparge

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.10

Maybe ratchet up the Vienna and Munich. Looks good, though to be honest I think I'm a little "over" Chico yeast on small beers; they taste a bit pukey and acidic to me.:p

English Ale, but I'm going to try Edinburgh for a few. OP is looking for dry and hop-forward though, so maybe Cal Ale is right for this beer.

I had a cask pint of Lagunitas Dogtown yesterday that was just dripping with Cascades - this hop bill is reading like a supercharged version of that.

Maybe ratchet up the Vienna and Munich. Looks good, though to be honest I think I'm a little "over" Chico yeast on small beers; they taste a bit pukey and acidic to me.:p

I was thinking about going 9 lbs 2 row and taking both munich and vienna to a pound each, do you think it would benefit from more than that?

I have also had mixed results with Cal Ale, but all of the ones that did not turn out well were pitched warm (70-80 degrees) and under pitched. Since I started using proper pitching rates and pitching cold it seems like it comes out much cleaner.

Brewed this today as is...man it smelled fantastic. Somehow overshot my mash temp and ended up mashing at 154 instead of 152. I blame it on the 100 degree ambient temp outside...more like 200 degrees once we fired up the banjo burner for the boil...

Those Citra hops smell like fresh peaches and apricots. Very nice. I cant wait to see how it turns out. I will post results in a month when its ready.

This recipe sounds delicious. I actually made one similar in the early spring. I called it "Spring Celebration Ale". It was a huge hit with my homebrew buddies and craft beer friends. It had a very strong hop nose, and citrus finish.

Can't wait to hear how it comes out!:rockin:

I think I'm going to cut the dry hop amounts in half to .5 oz cascade and .5 oz citra for 7 days. I want this to be hoppy but well balanced. Think that would work better?

This is in the ferm chamber right now going absolutely nuts. I have never seen cal ale take off so fast and intense!!

Hey, how did this turn out? I'm planning my next brew which is going to be very similar to this (Magnum, Citra and Cascade). I've heard it's really easy to over-do it with Citra...

I recently did a 4% pale ale with 2 oz each of Citra and Chinook at flameout and dry hop, really liked the results. Great balance for my taste in hoppy beer, killer aroma, still easy to drink etc...

Hey, how did this turn out? I'm planning my next brew which is going to be very similar to this (Magnum, Citra and Cascade). I've heard it's really easy to over-do it with Citra...

It came out great, really big tropical fruit nose and easy drinking. I finished the keg in record time. Just be sure you like over the top hop character!

Here's a link to the actual recipe I went with: Citra APA

Back