Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Got the Sam Smiths celebration pack last night. 3 beers and a glass. Sampled the Oatmeal Stout last night and was extremely impressed. (This is a damn good dark beer in my opinion). :)

What do you all think of the Chimay Beers? Which is the best? Thinking about getting a couple of bottles to drink at midnight on New Years.

Did it have the Winter Welcome in it? Thats a damn fine Ale, I've been drinking it the last several weeks.
I prefer Chimay Rouge, but I haven't tried them all. Again, I'm not a good beer critic, I just liked it better than...ummm, the Blue I think it was.

No Winter Welcome. Just the Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale, and Nut Brown Ale.

I like all of Chimay's offerings. I haven't tried them side by side, and I can't remember which I liked best.

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome was a bit disappointing to me - it was a touch high in alcohol but surprisingly light flavored. I was expecting something a bit heavier with some real character - spice or malt - this one offered no spice and some sweet maltiness, but not the body I was expecting.

How ironic, I too bought a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and both the Red and Blue Chimay for Christmas.

This was the first time I had Samual Smith's Oatmeal Stout and I thought it was a good representation of what a good stout(sweet not dry) should be. Very well balanced, not too sweet, great body, and the alcohol was right up there where I like it.

On the Chimays, I LOVE the Red and always have, but this was the first time I had the "Grande Reserve" or Blue. My thoughts? I thought it tasted exactly the same as the Red, just more alcohol (9%). The Red is high enough for me at 7% and with no flavor improvement, I'll stick with the Red!

:mug:

The Sam Smith's Oatmeal was the first Oatmeal I ever tried. Talk about setting the bar high hehe. As for the Chimay, I've only ever tried the blue. I am suspect that it gave me a headache though, because I never ever get headaches unless I am sick. After a bottle shared between my wife and I, I woke up with a headache. All things point to the Chimay and fusels, but I could be wrong. Either way, it was still real tasty!

Instead of the Chimay, I opted for the La Fin Du Monde (It was a bit cheaper). But, I saved it for midnight and was too far gone to really enjoy it.

McKBrew said:
Instead of the Chimay, I opted for the La Fin Du Monde (It was a bit cheaper). But, I saved it for midnight and was too far gone to really enjoy it.
Nothing like having the end of the world at the end of the night.:tank:

wow old thread
I would take Fin du Monde over Chimay..
Why? Chimay is over rated..too hot and too expensive. Also I like to take more than one hit. Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout..I would take that over Fin du Monde and Chimay
hands down one of the finest brewers producing an excellent beer.
images

images

I definitely agree that La Fin DU Mond is more along the lines of my taste than Chimay.

And there's also no doubt that I'd take any Sammy Smith over Unibroue.. more my style (and nt really comparable for the most part).

Back