Roaches at the brew store....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
They had more than a few and they were BIG !
In the paper bag they put grain in...
Crawling over the grain sacks...Everywhere...
Does your HBS have coackroaches...?

I knew something was up...I dropped a paper bag and it started walking away...
'They come out of the walls when it gets hot'...said the owner...

How about Ailing Roach Ale...in honor of the roaches that died during my visit...
The first one I actually released outside...but when I found his friends...I got to stomping...

Well, you can probably assume that there are a thousand roaches for each one that you've seen. They're usually pretty elusive. How about some roach eggs in your grain? (vomitting)

I don't know about you guys, but I love tireater threads...best entertainment on the site! Shopping cart girl, cockroaches, thongs - this stuff is gold!

How about some roach eggs in your grain? (vomitting)
You mean...how about more roach eggs in your grain. If we saw all the crap in grain we'd probably never want to eat bread again...but we'd still prob drink the beer.

In order to reduce shopping cart girl's stalker potential....I took her car to the crusher...
'I'll do the grinding'...famous last words from shopping cart girl...
So i'm looking for the Fermcaps which they don't have and the owner dosen't know about...
I look over and SCG is grinding 10 lbs w/o the 5 gal bucket...What a mess..!
So i'm sweeping up...and I notice little roach outlines in the wax on the floor...
Someone waxed over the roaches...

No Roaches in ours. The health department feels they actually have jurisdiction over our LHBS as if they were preparing food. Makes for a pretty clean shop.

On the other hand, one or two bags of vienna and Special Roast have come in with Weevils. Threw them out, definetly not something you want to infect all your grain with.

No Roaches in ours. The health department feels they actually have jurisdiction over our LHBS as if they were preparing food. Makes for a pretty clean shop.

On the other hand, one or two bags of vienna and Special Roast have come in with Weevils. Threw them out, definetly not something you want to infect all your grain with.

I always that that all you had to do with weevil grain was to skim the bodies off the top of the mash tun...the float to the surface or your strike water. :D

I say keep the roaches. They are free, beats the heck out of paying for rice hulls.

At 67 miles away...That is the closest HBS...
The next is 73 miles the other way...
And More Beer is 150 miles away...
It ain't easy homebrewing in Santa Barbara...

Just in case...I left all the grain in my truck overnight...

You mean...how about more roach eggs in your grain. If we saw all the crap in grain we'd probably never want to eat bread again...but we'd still prob drink the beer.

Very true. With grain weevils, it's not a question of them getting into the grain but the weevils hatching out. Grain that has been stored too warm will incubate the weevil eggs in the kernel and out they come. Same goes for tobacco beetles for you cigar collectors.

Meh. A little protein never hurt anyone. It gets boiled...I'd use the stuff you have.

But I probably wouldn't go there again. Looks like online ordering is your best choice ATM.

At 67 miles away...That is the closest HBS...
The next is 73 miles the other way...
And More Beer is 150 miles away...
It ain't easy homebrewing in Santa Barbara...

Just in case...I left all the grain in my truck overnight...

Seriously? I think I'd pay $7 shipping from Austing Home Brew or Northern Brewer and save the $10 in gas and let them keep their cockroach poop.

I say keep the roaches. They are free, beats the heck out of paying for rice hulls.

Thanks for that LOL! Then try to explain this comment to all the coworkers who don't brew why you have tears running down you face after reading this. Now they all think I am a moron!

I paid $50 for a bag of 2 row yesterday...
I got one last week at More Beer for $34...(150 extra miles)

Do you have to mash the roaches, or can they be steeped? What temperature is the cockroach rest? Probably would be a good supply of FAN.

Yeah, a roach is not a big deal. I mean, look at where you are. You're in a grain store. The occasional roach should be expected.

However, a whole frappin' army of them crawling all over everything. No, that's no good. That's just bad. That's me turning around, leaving, and not caring about ever coming back. I've never included roach ka-ka in one of my recipes, and I don't intend to.

TL

Back