Single malt beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to brew a decent beer using only one variety of malted grain in the recipe? I'm just curious if you could make a passable beer with just one variety of malted grain and perhaps one hops variety as well.

This is a great way to learn your base malts. And the nuances of a hop variety.

Is it possible to brew a decent beer using only one variety of malted grain in the recipe? I'm just curious if you could make a passable beer with just one variety of malted grain and perhaps one hops variety as well.

Czech pilseners are made with only one grain.

good video on one grain
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSKHzmhrzY[/ame]

Good to know! There are some threads here on that subject. An initial search on HBT for single grain beer didn't yeild quite what I was looking for - must have used the wrong search words. Keeping it simple helps keep the cost down. I want to keep brewing, but also save money to start buying grain by the bag.

Thanks for the response.

I buy my 2-row by the bag. Just bought some today. I may attempt a SMaSH next as well. I have a lot of odd hops adding up. Another way to save money is to plan your next two - three beers out and try and use the same yeast. I saved a lot by brewing 3 in a row on Cali Ale yeast, coupled with the 25KG bag of barley.

Latest posts

Back