Cascade focused IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

updog

Reaction score
i bought a pound of cascade and columbus hops the other day because they were only like $11/lb each. i have been trying to put together an ipa that is cascade heavy so i can use some of them up (a pound is a lot haha). any thoughts on the recipe i have developed?

Batch Size: 5g
IBUs: 79.6
Color: 6.6 SRM
est OG: 1.068
est FG: 1.011
ABV: 7.5

grains:
12# pale malt 2 row
1# Caramel 20

hops:
1oz columbus (15%) @ 60min

.5oz cascade @ 20min
.25oz columbus @ 20min

.5oz cascade @ 15 min

.75oz cascade @ 10 min

.5oz cascade @ 5 min
.5oz willamette @ 5 min

.75oz cascade @ 0 min

i wasnt sure how to properly paste my beersmith recipe, so i attached it..maybe it will magically show up?

View attachment cascade ipa.bsmx

i don't see any dry-hop there... since you're creating a hop-bomb, why not add an oz cascade for dry-hopping?

i wasnt sure how to add that into the beersmith program. i actually have cut my 60 minute bittering to .5oz and that dropped overall IBUs by about 20 to something around 56 IBUs. i think this will be more agreeable. but yes, i will be dropping a couple ounces of cascade in the secondary for a week. great suggestion!

If you're making a 7.5% abv IPA you want the IBU's up at your original 79 range if not higher in my opinion.

yeah, i agree. that was why i had it up high to begin with. so, i think ive figured this beer smith business out. i was able to add a dry hop. i usually brew not with a computer so its all a little new haha

Ground it out with the majority of your IBUs early.
Round it out with a small middle charge.
Pound it out with a huge whirlpool & dryhop.

...That's my mantra.

1.25 oz columbus @ 60 min
0.75 oz columbus @ 30 min
1.50 oz cascade @ 5 min
2.50 oz cascade @ whirlpool
1.00 oz columbus @ whirlpool
2.50 oz cascade @ dryhop
1.50 oz columbus @ dryhop

Bob I noticed that your location is sierra, Nevada. Is that an ode to the brewery? I grew up in Chico where its located

Columbus and cascade are an excellent combo for an IPA, in the right proportion rather similar to Centennial. I like Bobs hop schedule, but I tend to skip the 30 and like a small first wort addition.

nice. thanks a lot i really appreciate the input. beer smith puts bobs schedule at nearly 95 IBUs. too much?

My last IPA was 140 IBUs according to beer smith. That was too much but not way too much. Bumping it down to about 120 next time.

When you surpass 100 theoretical IBUs, it's not really about 120 is less bitter than 140 or so on. The 90-110 IBU range is the actual limit of human palate perception AND total solubility in the wort. So in truth, you could have a 300+ theoretical IBU beer (Pliny the Elder at 1.070 OG) that tastes smoother than your 140 IBU homebrew. The difference in perceived bitterness has more to do with the recipe as a whole and your chosen hop schedule. I would experiment with perfecting that a bit more instead of being frightened by IBUs.

Back