Hefeweizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottcberens

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a hefeweizen, what is the best type of yeast to use? Also, does it need to be lagered?

hefs are meant to be drank young and cloudy. IMO for a heff i use wyeast 3638 bavarian wheat. But most people will chime in and say use Weihenstephan Wheat Yeast - Wyeast 3068. So your call. I find that 70% wheat and 30% 2row with 3638 makes one fantastic heff. With 1 oz of hallertauh at 60, 90 minute boil. If you lager the heff you basically will be making what they call a crystalweizen.

I read that pilsner is traditionally used along with the wheat... I've also seen quite a few recipes use 2-row instead of pilsner... Is there that big of a difference in which one i use?

I recently made a traditional hefe according to Brewing Classic styles and it turned out fantastic, plus the recipe was dead simple.

50/50 pilsner and wheat malt, dash of hallertau hops @60min, fermented at 62º. Great balance of the aromas produced interesting complexity- the last thing I would want it an overly-banana hefeweizen.

Back