Overly carbonated - will time improve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a fairly new home brewer, who made a rookie mistake with my third batch. I brewed a Belgian Dubbel extract kit, but reduced the amount of water added to keep the taste/alcohol content more robust. However, because I'm an idiot, I forgot to reduce the amount of priming sugar used when bottling, so the batch seems to be overly carbonated.

I was wondering if perhaps I should simply store the bottles (I used 22oz. bombers) for six months or so, and time might reduce the carbonation levels to optimal levels. Is that a viable solution? Can anyone advise? Thanks!

I don't see why a longer conditioning period would help the CO2 escape the bottles. Maybe consider opening the bottles over the sink and then recapping and cleaning them. This should release a few pounds of pressure but leave plenty in the bottle for drinking later on.

Interesting thought - I hadn't considered that. Also, to provide further context on the carbonation, it's not too much pressure that I'm worried about. It's more that the beer has a consistency similar to champagne.

Back