First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
Hi I have made a simple must? Honey water cinnamon cloves with orange and raisins only a gallon uk.
The first fermenting went well (I think as bubbles were going from day one very regular easily 1 every 7/10 seconds ) so after a couple of weeks (bubbles now 1 a minute) I racked it of to a new demijohn /Carboy but its slowed right down .
Did I rack to early ?
The answer is probably but is there any way to save it ?

your mead doesnt need saving. i read you need to rack it once the bubbling is at 1 every 30 seconds. so you are fine just let it sit in the new demijohn for a while to clarify and finish fermenting (you will see sediment at the bottom after a while) then rack into bottles seperating the good mead from the sediment and age as long as desierd.

Nothing is ruined Here, just wait it out and it will be fine. For future reference though that recipe normally doesn't rack into secondary until it is about 3 months old assuming you used bakers yeast. There are some wine yeasts that need to be racked sooner but I normally don't rack into secondary until my mead is mostly clear.

Spikemead said:
Hi I have made a simple must? Honey water cinnamon cloves with orange and raisins only a gallon uk.
The first fermenting went well (I think as bubbles were going from day one very regular easily 1 every 7/10 seconds ) so after a couple of weeks (bubbles now 1 a minute) I racked it of to a new demijohn /Carboy but its slowed right down .
Did I rack to early ?
The answer is probably but is there any way to save it ?

Thanks that makes me feel better
My only other concern at the moment is when I racked I ended up with a lot of space will this mean I get oxygenation ?

If it is still cloudy and there is a little airlock activity it is fine for now because there is a layer of CO2 in the carboy. CO2 is heavier than Air so it will sit in there and not really leak out unless you messwith it. Just leave it alone to clear and let time do it's magic on the mead. You can bottle this in 3 months and age in the bottle at least another 2 months and then this will be a fine drink. Stick around though and read up on all the knowledge and wisdom shared on this site and your next mead will be twice as good as this one.

Cheers all good

I'm having a go at bitter as well as you get a quicker drink
In time for Christmas if its not all drunk by then

Back