mounting taps to front of fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tehmitt

Reaction score
I got an old fridge for free so am going to use it for my 4 kegs. I am going to mount 4 taps through the front door but my question is what size do you drill the hole at? I've looked through the videos and they all have the holes drilled and I just wanted to make sure that I used the right size instead of trying to eyeball it.

Also would anyone recommend sealing it with anything or is the shank a tight enough fit to not worry about that? Any help or links to help would be greatly appreciated!

Measure the inside of the nut to tighten down on the shank, what I did was slide that on a step bit and mark it with a sharpie, the main thing you want to do is not to make the hole too big. So drill a little and then see if you need to go bigger, until you get the right size for your shank. On the inside I used a wood backing to tighten down the nut against so the taps wouldn't spin and it helped keep the nut from breaking the plastic liner. I didn't seal mine, I figured if I did getting them off if I had to replace them would be a pain in the arse. Hope that helps some.

-G

I recently drilled a hole for my tap with a hole-saw that was just too big. Reason being, I am impatient and cheap, couldn't find the right size nor did I go buy the correct size hole saw.....and what might the correct size be? In my opinion, just big enough to get the shank through. Mine has a lot of wiggle room, I have not sealed it with anything because I have a sort a temporary kegerator so I don't want to gum up the threads with spray foam, but ideally I would do so. For me with the larger gap I get heavy condensation on the faucet, so much so that I wrap a bar towel around it.
Hope that gets you thinking.

-JB-

I'm certainly no expert, so I offer this for what it's worth: I bought my kegerator with a shank/faucet already installed. The hole through the door had a short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe inserted into the hole. I assume that's to prevent crushing/distorting the door, as well as maintaining a proper seal. Unfortunately, I cant tell you how well it's working since I am finishing the process rebuilding the whole setup.

Today, I got a brass pipe nipple to make a "Bulk head" for the co2 line, similar to what you would do for a cooler mash tun. I selected a hole saw that would accommodate the nipple, and I'll probably use a small amount of silicone on the washers to seal it all up. (for a 3/8" nipple, I'm using a 7/8" hole saw, it'll be to big, but 3/4 was too small and they didn't have 1/16" increments.) Hope this helps, Good luck!

Back