5L Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmaster911

Reaction score
I finally got around to making a stir plate which is a very cheap and easy project. Now I am trying to find a 5L Flask....any suggestions for where to purchace one?

Get a $10 gallon of cheap wine. Drink the wine. Keep the bottle. Works great. Not quite 5L, but close enough especially with a stir plate.

Home brew supply stores will/should have them. I got one from the LHBS not long ago and also see that AHS has one listed. I'm sure a HBS in your area, or one you already order from, has one. Just confirmed that Rebel Brewer also has them listed.

I prefer to get things like flasks local, unless they're guaranteed from breaking (or the supplier will replace if it arrives broken) during shipping. That way I don't need to worry about getting a box of glass shards instead of a flask.

IF you're not going to heat the starter wort in the flask, then you can use a variety of items as one. Do a test with the stir plate to see if the item functions properly or not. If you already have said items on hand, then why not try them?

Personally, I have a 2L, 3L and now 5L flask to use for starters. I also have some 1/2 gallon mason jars, and one that's just over a gallon in size.

The one thing I will suggest you do is get at least one strong rare earth magnet. Use that to hold the stir bar, or remove it from the flask, before you pitch the slurry. I use that to remove the stir bar before I decant so that I can then get the yeast into suspension in what's left and pitch it.

I got my 5L flask from Rebel Brewer but it seems they are out of stock on them at the moment.

Looks like AHS has them in stock... Midwest does too.

The reviews have me scared of the flask from AHS(This is where I order most of my goods and I think they would back thier product) I guess my question should be where do I order a good quality flask without breaking the bank? I see some 4 liter starters in my future and this would be tough to do in a 1 gallon jug. Thanks

Do you have any HBS in your area that you can drive to? That would be my first choice, so that you can actually inspect the thing before leaving the store, or have a B&M you can take it back to if it's broken when you get it home (better to check before leaving the store IMO).

For some things, local suppliers that you can drive to are just better. Not cheaper, but better for peace of mind. IMO, it's a short list for those items, but it does exist.

Make another stirplate and use two flasks/vessels for bigger starters. I believe you'll get more yeast by making a pair of 2.5L starters than one 5L starter anyway.

I'm not brave enough to heat my starters in the flask. I use a pot to make the starter, chill it in the sink, then pour it into the sanitized flask for use. I know it's extra steps, but I don't need to worry about breaking the flask on the stove, or in the sink this way.

Back