Dogfish Head 90min. IPA question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidr2340

Reaction score
I just brewed this today! I used the recipe out of BYO.
In the directions it says this, "Start fermentation at 71 F and let raise to 74 F. Dry Hopp in Secondary at 71 F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 F."
I don't have a way of cooling to 32 in the secondary... Could I just transfer to 5 gal. secondary for 3-5 days, then transfer to keg, to dry hop for the rest of the time?

Thanks all!!!
:mug:

I actually have that beer on tap right now. I didn't do anything different than I did with anyother beer as far as changing fermentation temperatures and it turned out great

I bet the drop in temp is just to make it fall bright quicker. Whatever works for you, go for it. You don't want to be too close to the original recipe anyway, right? This way it's not a Dogfish Head 90 min, it's a "David's Kickass 90min IPA".
Oh yeah!

monk

Monk said:
I bet the drop in temp is just to make it fall bright quicker. Whatever works for you, go for it. You don't want to be too close to the original recipe anyway, right? This way it's not a Dogfish Head 90 min, it's a "David's Kickass 90min IPA".
Oh yeah!

monk
Very good point monk!!!

On a side note, I came home to this today...

5-14-07001.jpg

And the ceiling right above!!!
5-14-07002.jpg

After a quick trip to Lowes!!!
5-14-07003.jpg

So, now my question is this... How the hell do I know when to use a blow off tube, or when to just use a airlock!?!?
Is it because this is a pretty big beer (1.083)???

Thanks once again all!!!

In a word, yes. I've needed a blow-off tube on my three biggest beers, with OGs of 1.090, 1.089, and 1.076. I also needed one for a smaller beer, but that was because I added apple juice to it and there wasn't enough room for the krausen. So yeah, anything above 1.070 will probably need a blow-off tube, although I think I got away without one on my second IPA, which was OG 1.074. Those are some awesome pictures, man, and sorry about your lose. Hope it turns out okay.

Torchiest said:
In a word, yes. I've needed a blow-off tube on my three biggest beers, with OGs of 1.090, 1.089, and 1.076. I also needed one for a smaller beer, but that was because I added apple juice to it and there wasn't enough room for the krausen. So yeah, anything above 1.070 will probably need a blow-off tube, although I think I got away without one on my second IPA, which was OG 1.074. Those are some awesome pictures, man, and sorry about your lose. Hope it turns out okay.
I've got my fingers crossed... It was only exposed for about 2hrs, and there is a pretty good layer of krausen... We'll see!!!

Oh god. Those pictures make me cringe. I can only imagine what my wife would say if she opened the bathroom door to that. :mad: :mad: :mad:

davidr2340 said:
I've got my fingers crossed... It was only exposed for about 2hrs, and there is a pretty good layer of krausen... We'll see!!!

You will probably be ok. I have had two primary fermenters pop (6.5 pails) and have been exposed for hours with no ill effects. Both beers were higher grav brews.

neckbone said:
Oh god. Those pictures make me cringe. I can only imagine what my wife would say if she opened the bathroom door to that. :mad:
LOL!!!
My girlfriend cleaned the bathroom an hour before it blew... :D

Latest posts

Back