10 gal igloo malfunction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyebrewing

Reaction score
Today when i poured some 172' water in my igloo hlt, i started to hear some cracking. I looked in and found that from the bottom of the cooler, straight up, the inner lining had pulled away from the insulation about 1" wide and sticks out 3/4". This raised seam rises almost to the top. As it had not actually split open, i used it anyway. There was water in it for about 30 min and no loss in temp. When i added the water, the cooler was 55'. Its also only 2 months old and has only been used a couple of times.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I've split an older, less worthy cooler over a number of brews. It has since been replaced by a 10g Igloo.

Sounds like you shocked it too hard. I usually warm it up some with a hot tap water spray just to get it used to the idea of going warm.

I added some warm tap water to my hlt while i was mashing to warm it up a bit. When i added my 170 water, no problems and no temp loss. I guess its just cosmetic..

Today when i poured some 172' water in my igloo hlt, i started to hear some cracking. I looked in and found that from the bottom of the cooler, straight up, the inner lining had pulled away from the insulation about 1" wide and sticks out 3/4". This raised seam rises almost to the top. As it had not actually split open, i used it anyway.

Mine did this the first time I used it. 2 years and 50 brews later it still works great.

The first Igloo cooler I had did that, so I bought another one. It does it too. And, it did it first in the SUMMER, so I don't think a cold garage had anything to do with it.

The first MLT cooler flexed back and forth until it cracked along the high edge of the "hump" formed by the heat. The second has not cracked...YET.

So, even though coolers hold in the heat GREAT, I am dropping them for a very heavily insulated keggle MLT. Hopefully, the present cooler MLT will hold together long enough for me to finish the keggle one.

:(

Thanks guys. Just glad to hear im not the only one. Still works and if i had to throw something away just because it looked funny, i'd be sitting in a trashcan right now

Back