Grounding a heating element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynd96

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to make my electric HLT and had a question about grounding. I'm using an igloo cooler, round type, and was wondering if I could drill a hole in the side of the cooler, insert a small SS bolt and nut and attach the ground to that. I'm aware of the copper ring made from the sheet from the craft store, but this seems much easier.

Then again easier is usually not better and I obviously don't want to be a crispy critter!

Here is a similar thread from a few days ago. You can do the same with a cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/element-grounding-164233/

I am using a corny keg for a HLT. There was no way to attach ground to the outside of the keg so I came up with this another way. I did not want to put another hole through the keg. It should work for a cooler as well.

I used a reducing washer.

IMG_03492.jpg

IMG_03523.jpg

Mine did not come out too pretty. I had some issues with JB weld.

Mine did not come out too pretty. I had some issues with JB weld.
Get some of that aluminum foil tape, which matches the reflectix insulation a lot better than silver duct tape, and cover that whole assembly with an even coat of JB weld, and it'll look 10x nicer :mug:

I actually had one of those in my hand yesterday at the HD when I was getting the element and other fittings. I didn't even consider drilling it to attach the ground. Is that a 1 1/4 to 1 inch?

I'm going to be drilling the cooler anyway to add The Pol's budget sight glass and thermometer, Thanks Pol, so adding another hole is no biggie. I thought I read some where on here that when installing in a cooler, you ideally want the ground to be in contact with the liquid.

Yeah I did the aluminum foil tape already. That picture was from when the JB weld was drying. The silver duct tape was just temp. I did not bother with jb weld. You don't see the back of the rig anyway.:D

I'm going to be drilling the cooler anyway to add The Pol's budget sight glass and thermometer, Thanks Pol, so adding another hole is no biggie. I thought I read some where on here that when installing in a cooler, you ideally want the ground to be in contact with the liquid.

Your element is inside the cooler. So it is touching the liquid. You do not need to put another piece of metal through the wall to ground out the water.

I guessing the washer goes onto the base of the element right, not between the element and cooler, so between the element and PVC cap

Back