StarSan leaving "oily" look on top of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
So, I cleaned my secondary vessel with starsan (1 oz. to 5 gallons), dumped, let dry some, but not totally. Had some cloudy looking glass, but I heard this is normal from the dried sanitizer.

Anyway, after siphoning into secondary it seems some of the sanitizer came off the side and has an "oil patch" look that formed on top of the brew. Is this normal?! Will it dissipate off the surface or stay on? Is it going to ruin the brew or is it an inconsequential amount? Do I try to avoid this when bottling or what do I do?

Let me know your thoughts!

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. I will say that I have never seen this with Star-san, nor the cloudy patches. Then again, I don't wait for it to dry. Just shake, let it sit for 1-2 minutes, drain, and fill.

I wouldn't let it dry, just siphon the beer onto the wet (but empty) carboy. Did you dry hop? Could it be hop oil causing the oil patch?

No dry hopping; like I said, it appears to be gone this morning when I looked in on top of the wort in the secondary...

Guess we'll let her sit, bottle, and see what happens.

/I think this was addressed by Charlie Tally the owner of 5 star chemicals and maker of Starsan on the Brewing network's sunday live show on 3/19/06. If you go to thebrewingnetwork.com you can download the podcast from their archive.:mug:

Barooo

Good listen.

So, apparently the "rainbow" effect on the top of the beer won't effect flavor and/or head retention at all. If I heard correctly, then the StarSan will actually break down and be a "food" for yeast?

I think I actually believe this, also, as I looked into my secondary just a minute ago and there is a small healthy looking foam/krausen (1/5 cm) that has formed on some of the surface, as if additional fermentation had occurred since transfer 2 days ago.

Cool stuff. I'll need to listen to more of these archives.

Back