other uses for brew gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
Sunday was my grandsons first birthday and my wife bought a little kiddie pool for the party . Only problem is the tap water is very cold and the pool was set up that morning . So my wife was trying to warm it with pots from the stove I had the idea to use the IC as a heat exchanger boiled 20 gallons of water turned on the hose and nice hot water to the pool worked great

pool1.JPG

so anybody use their equipment in unusual ways ?

Used my massive Brew Pot for making a massive batch of Multi-Purpose Stock. Used all my frozen bones and scraps collected for... probably a year int he freezer. Add water and lightly simmer for.... 6-8 hours. Reduced 5 gal down to 2.5 and it's the best stock goin.

I use my big kettle and burner for all sorts of non-brew cooking. Wifey uses star san for sanitizing jars before she puts them in the pressure canner...and she's planning on using it to sanitize baby bottles once we get to that stage. I also use my blade scale to measure out my meth.

I use my marked fermenting buckets and hydrometer to measure and mix saltwater for my marine aquarium.

My brew pot and burner also cooks lobster. I can get 6 or 7 cooked at once.

I use the bucket of my wet /dry vac to put ice water for my IC and pump it through a hose pump attachment.

My MLT is also one of my coolers at times.

I use my kegging system to carbonate the pool water. I've thought about adding some lime juice maybe.

Great idea Springer. I've used the burner to warm up water for the pool, but never thought of working it like that.

it actually worked very well I pretty much had constant hot water until I killed the flame. Then I just let the water cool some and dumped the pot water into the pool too.

I've done more re-purposing of other equipment to brewing than vice versa.

I use an aquarium pump to recirc ice water for IC.

Pump_on_Wort_Chiller.jpg

Portable scaffold hauls my equipment and is a great brewstand.
04_11_09_0029.jpg

I use my Cooler MLT, a heatstick connected to a Ranco (for temperature control), and an aquarium pump (to keep the water circulated) to make an immersion circulator for Sous-Vide cooking. I then seal some steaks in my Food Saver (which I bought for hops) with some garlic and rosemary leave it sit at 130 degrees for three hours. After that, I unseal the steaks and put them on a cast iron skillet to brown the outside. Best steak I ever had.

Back