sanatize with bleach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
Ok heres what i do.i use TSP when i clean all the crud out of my carboys by filling them up with hot water and adding 1/4 cup and let sit over night then all i have to do is rinse it works great for me..then i sanatize with a 1/4 cup of bleach and a gal of water..slosh it all around and let it sit a while then i slosh it around again and let it sit for a bit longer..then rinse a few times real good..iv'e never had any problems ...as for my cornies i use iodophor give them a rinse..as iv'e heard stainless doesn't like bleach...doe's this all sound like a safe practice? thanks to all who answer..:rockin:

1/4 cup of bleach per gallon of water is way too much for sanitizing.
Palmer recommends 1 tbsp per g. (See here )
I believe Papazian recommends a lesser concentration.

Bleach is very powerful stuff, and can cause some really unpleasant off flavors if excess remains in the brew while fermenting.

If you have Iodophor, why not use that instead for all your sanitizing. It costs a bit more than bleach, but is 10 times faster, and doesn't require any rinsing (which can cause infections).

-a.

Bleach is good but can ruin beer if not rinsed well enough. Stainless will be potted by bleach and will ruin your corneys or any other stainless if used. If it does happen I read somewhere that you can refurbish the finish - but it takes time and effort. Best left unbleached.

To avoid any issues I agree with AJF - Forget the bleach and use Iodaphor. It is easy clean and assuring - wihtout the smell of chlorine.

- WW

I use chlorine at 2 oz per 5 gal and then rinse with hot water. Cheap and easy, plus my wife is very allergic to iodine and so I don't want to take a chance.

Star San is a bit more expensive but it is a no rinse sanitizer, I've been using it for years without any problems. I would never use bleach because of the risk of ruining a batch of beer. I used it years ago and after my first band aid beer I switched to sanitizers...

When I did my last Wheat with the WLP351 it left ONE HELL OF A MESS. The crud that was stuck in the carboy was real tough to get out. I used Straight A... let it soak for a few hours and everything just dissolved away.

Well, I was a die hard bleach user and couldn't understand why anyone would use anything else....until I had my first bandaid batch. YUCK!! It was a dumper. I tried to drink a half a glass and got sick as a dog.
I went right to the computer and ordered Starsan. Will NEVER use bleach again!

Surely Dave R you are blaming bleach for your shortcomings when it comes to rinsing your vessels.
There's absolutely no doubt bleach works for the conciencious homebrewers, I use bleach for almost everything except corni kegs and havent had one bad batch. The only foam I want in my beer is on top of my pint.
Its not bleach that ruins beer its poor brewing practices.

Back